It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:01 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 3 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: New Magnetic Knife Racks
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:52 pm 

I don't have any knowledge to offer on the technical aspects, but I want to say that the prototype looks beautiful. Covering the magnet with wood is a great idea.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:54 pm 

John, Another consideration and a gripe I have about my existing racks is that when mounted, the rack hovers off the wall ever so slightly as a result, the magnet will flex until it touches the wall, making the existing knives wobble back and forth. I still can't believe my Yani hasn't come off, it would take out my Deba and Usuba. That would be sad. Lets go John, get these things made! ;)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:25 pm 

Mucho Bocho wrote:John, Another consideration and a gripe I have about my existing racks is that when mounted, the rack hovers off the wall ever so slightly as a result, the magnet will flex until it touches the wall, making the existing knives wobble back and forth. I still can't believe my Yani hasn't come off, it would take out my Deba and Usuba. That would be sad. Lets go John, get these things made! ;)

Can you shoot me a picture of the back of your knife rack? (John@lonestarartisans.com).

I got the keyhole hardware this afternoon, so I can start to work on the mounting part of the prototypes now. Still waiting on Eamon to get over here with his knives to tell me which magnet configuration works best.

This whole process of creating the 'perfect knife rack' reminds me of an old David Allan Coe song from the mid-70's. I'm guessing that there are very few rednecks on this forum, so I share this excerpt from "You Never Even Called Me By My Name," knowing full well that I'll mostly get blank stares:

WELL, A FRIEND OF MINE NAMED STEVE GOODMAN WROTE THAT SONG
AND HE TOLD ME IT WAS THE PERFECT COUNTRY & WESTERN SONG
I WROTE HIM BACK A LETTER AND I TOLD HIM IT WAS NOT THE PERFECT COUNTRY & WESTERN SONG BECAUSE HE HADN’T SAID ANYTHING AT ALL ABOUT MAMA,
OR TRAINS,
OR TRUCKS,
OR PRISON,
OR GETTING’ DRUNK
WELL HE SAT DOWN AND WROTE ANOTHER VERSE TO THE SONG
AND HE SENT IT TO ME,
AND AFTER READING IT,
I REALIZED THAT MY FRIEND HAD WRITTEN THE PERFECT
COUNTRY & WESTERN SONG
AND I FELT OBLIGED TO INCLUDE IT ON THIS ALBUM
THE LAST VERSE GOES LIKE THIS HERE:

WELL, I WAS DRUNK THE DAY MY MOM GOT OUT OF PRISON
AND I WENT TO PICK HER UP IN THE RAIN
BUT BEFORE I COULD GET TO THE STATION IN MY PICKUP TRUCK
SHE GOT RUN NED OVER BY A DAMNED OLD TRAIN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9coh7mBHwr4

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:36 pm 

John, Take a look at the top of this thread. Those are my knife racks

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:21 pm 

Mucho Bocho wrote:John, Take a look at the top of this thread. Those are my knife racks

I was hoping to see how the knife racks are attached so I could get a sense of what's causing the rack to wobble.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:40 am 

Never-ending prototyping is now complete. I'm in full production of the first batch of 24 knife racks now. I'm doing a batch of 17 inch racks first, which have continuous rare earth magnets across 16 inches. After I finish these, I'll move on to the 20" (or 22"?) racks. The 17" racks will be pre-drilled with washers and screws at exactly 16" (for 16" on center studs in your kitchen). The 20 (22?) inchers will have hidden keyhole hardware in a routed channel.

Eamon came over and put his heaviest, most concave knives on the racks and gave them his stamp of approval.

Here are a couple pics of the first finished rack. This one is in makore (ma'ck-o-ree). I will also have wenge and lacewood.

http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p55 ... 30b803.jpg
http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p55 ... 46e916.jpg

Mark is going to retail some of these, so you are welcome to buy them from him once he gets them. If you want a custom size from me, I can make whatever you want... but NOW is the time to tell me, before I chop up all my wood. Shoot me an e-mail (john@lonestarartisans.com) if you have a special request.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:48 am 

They do indeed hold very solid. He tried three different arrangements of magnets, and the one we settled on grips better than the magnetic strip I use now. Very solid.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:43 am 

Here's a lacewood rack:
http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p55 ... 6c067b.jpg

And here are a couple of wenge (when-gay):
http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p55 ... 5a0f7e.jpg
http://s1155.photobucket.com/albums/p55 ... b9dfd5.jpg

To me, wenge is very clean, contemporary, and masculine. Lacewood is ba-zing! Makore is versatile and has a neat shimmering figure.

Next stop, the Metro Cooking and Entertaining Show in Dallas tomorrow and Sunday...

John

Page 3 of 3 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3