It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:32 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: How long do you spend on sharpening?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:59 am 

I just sharpened some Artifexes and, for the first time EVER, I timed myself. I've never, ever timed myself. I don't even have any clocks in my house, or watches.

For all intents and purposes, they were unsharpened. So I set a new bevel, took it up to where they should be(sensationless shaving sharp, with bite!). This is some good steel, seriously. It sharpens up so easily for stainless and takes a piss ripper of an edge. I happen to know it refreshes easily too. Best thing about these knives, for real.

Anywho, it came out to 7:50 minutes per knife! I did 16 in a little over 2 hours.

I was surprised it was so little time. It feels like longer. It went like this:
140 - 2:10
1k - 1:20
5k - 2:00
10k - 1:30
Strop - 0:50

Times include deburring.

What about you guys?

Post subject: Re: How long do you spend on sharpening?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:57 pm 

How long does it take to paint a picture?

Creating something by the means of using a developed skill is not exactly something many can put a time on. I learn new things every time I sharpen and remember things I had forgotten so for me sharpening a knife has taken 20 years and counting.

The first run of artiflex knives I sharpened I used a 3 stone progression and remember completing 4 in 15 minutes. It just happened that way at that time and time needed to sharpen the rest varied per blade. I don't like to rush and believe it can cause too many mistakes so I typically go slow, though slow for me is still very fast by most comparison :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:56 pm 
Forum Moderator

Doing a full pregression like yours:

EP: 20 min
Freehand: 35 min

I'm learning freehand again, hence the slower speed.

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:52 pm 
Forum Moderator

burkecutlery wrote:I just sharpened some Artifexes and, for the first time EVER, I timed myself. I've never, ever timed myself. I don't even have any clocks in my house, or watches.

For all intents and purposes, they were unsharpened. So I set a new bevel, took it up to where they should be(sensationless shaving sharp, with bite!). This is some good steel, seriously. It sharpens up so easily for stainless and takes a piss ripper of an edge. I happen to know it refreshes easily too. Best thing about these knives, for real.

Anywho, it came out to 7:50 minutes per knife! I did 16 in a little over 2 hours.

I was surprised it was so little time. It feels like longer. It went like this:
140 - 2:10
1k - 1:20
5k - 2:00
10k - 1:30
Strop - 0:50

Times include deburring.

What about you guys?

With all due respect dude.....I find it hard to believe that it takes less than 8 minutes per knife to start by setting new bevels - just doing some quality control (electron microscope checking) will take longer.......

.....something wrong here........

Think about it carefully.........??

No offense, but really...... is your watch working correctly??

:)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:30 pm 

I take offense at very little, so no worries.

First off, I most certainly do not use an electron microscope when sharpening. I cannot tell if you are being sarcastic or not.

Secondly:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:24 pm 

Eamon
Very impressive edge, that's cool.

These are new knives you are sharpening right, so they have a factory edge but nothing like the edge you finished with correct?

I have timed myself a few times because I've sometimes wondered how long it takes "the other guys" to sharpen a knife, I always feel like I take too long. However, it doesn't concern me very much.

The average time for me is about 25 minutes per knife, I have yet to have the privilege of sharpening an Artifex, some day perhaps. Freehand is a little faster for me than the EP but I very rarely have been able to get a knife sharpened in less than 20 minutes, but again, I almost always deal with very dull knives. I have spend 90 minutes on a knife before.

Awesome job Eamon.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:35 am 
Forum Moderator

I concur with both Michiel & Peter - my average time would be in the region of 20 to 30 minutes......normal 60 second minutes that is....

:)

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]