It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:15 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Wa-Gyuto Suggestions Needed
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:24 pm 
Site Admin

Hello and well met,

I ordered a Tojiro DP 9½" and some other stuff a while ago, of this is not a complaint! Anyways I am really happy with the Tojiro, but the steel is too soft for a professional kitchen, I need to keep honing and sharpening it all the time. I was wondering if you could advise me on some of the good and sturdy knives that can handle a heavy workload of chopping root vegetables, etc. And preferably Japanese. Thank you very much in advance!

Yours sincerely, Karri.

Richmond Laser

Post subject: Re: Wa-Gyuto Suggestions Needed
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:25 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Karri,

I just started a new forum for Chefknivestogo. Do you mind if I use your question and my answer? It will help others who read it. I'll only use your first name if I post it.

We have several good knives that use hard steel that will hold it's edge better than your Tojiro. I need a couple questions answered before I give you a meaningful recommendation.

Are you right handed?
Are you ok with carbon or do you want stainless?
How much did you want to spend?
When you say Japanese I assume you want a Wa-Gyuto i.e. Japanese handled chef knife?

Richmond Laser

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:25 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Mark,

Yes by all means use it if it helps other, alright to answer your questions!
1. Yes I am right handed.
2. Can you tell me a bit of the differences in regards to maintenance on the carbon, I believe my Tojiro is stainless?
3. About $250, if that is not enough I can go a little higher, I would like a knife that will last.
4. Yes, I currently have the 9½inch DP, after getting used to the weight I can't picture myself going back, it is just so much better for chopping hard root vegetables. So yes, about the same design. And I would like to try a Japanese handle. But what I meant was a knife made by a Japanese company.

Yours sincerely, Karri.

Richmond Laser

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:26 pm 
Site Admin

The main difference between carbon and stainless is that carbon knives will form a patina and will also rust if not wiped dry after use. They tend to be easier to sharpen and good ones will take a really good edge.
Stainless knives are easier to care for and these are the majority of the knives we sell but there are lots of carbon steel fans out there.

Here is a good carbon steel knife that you could try:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/moritaka8.html

There are several good stainless wa-gyutos on the site. Here are a couple I like that are hard enough to hold a good edge:
This one is the knife that popped into my brain when I read your answers. It's stainless on the whole knife and has carbon (aogami super steel) on the edge only. It's a great knife.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/ka24wa.html

My knife is fully stainless and the steel is really good. It will hold a sharp edge longer than most of the knives on my site. It has a tall blade and nice profile and is fun to use.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/riknad24.html

I hope that helps.

Richmond Laser

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:45 pm 

The Kanehiro 240mm Wa-Gyuto that Mark refers to is a fantastic knife, and an incredible value. The Kanehiro line does not have the "look"." or cult status of the Takeda gyuto, which is a similar knife, but it competes head to head with the Takeda. Probably a "best buy" in Japanese gyutos right now.

“If one really wants to be master of an art, technical knowledge of it is not enough. One has to transcend technique so that the art becomes an ‘artless art’ growing out of the Unconscious.” Eugen Herrigel

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:48 pm 

The Kanehiro 240mm Wa-Gyuto that Mark refers to is a fantastic knife, and an incredible value. The Kanehiro line does not have the "look"." or cult status of the Takeda gyuto, which is a similar knife, but it competes head to head with the Takeda. Probably a "best buy" in Japanese gyutos right now.

Thanks WickedSharp! I have been looking at the Kanehiro for some time now. I think it will be my next knife. To your knowledge it is Blue super or blue#2?

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:13 pm 

Its aogami super steel clad in stainless, much like the Takeda knives. I've been purposely abusing mine, and have yet to see a chip in the blade. Sharp out of the box, but this is a real fun knife to sharpen. Takes a wicked sharp edge, and holds it. Frankly, once you have the edge the way you like it, you will rarely need to do more than quick touch up on something like a Shapton glass 1K followed by a 4K and stropping.

“If one really wants to be master of an art, technical knowledge of it is not enough. One has to transcend technique so that the art becomes an ‘artless art’ growing out of the Unconscious.” Eugen Herrigel

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]