It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:33 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Middle Grit stone
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:00 pm 

Lookin for a stone to bridge the gap between the 1k red brick and the Rika 5k. On a recent post I was recommended the green brick. Is this a wise choice? How about the blue aoto? Are there any stones I should consider that I may have over looked?

Also, I am curious about the imanishi combo as well as the king combos. Is the 800/4000 king a useful combo? Or are the 1000/6000s superior? I do understand that it is very subjective. However, with the pantheon of talented sharpeners here. I definitely would love to hear your expert opinions.

Thanks again mowgs

Ps. I have a Kurouchi santoku
Moly/van Deba
Moly/van yanagiba
And a multitude of crummy stainless knives

Post subject: Re: Middle Grit stone
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:33 am 
Forum Moderator

I often jump from my Bester 1200 to the Rika 5K. Sometimes I add in a Shapton Pro 2K, Synthetic Blue Aoto, or San Aoto j nat, depending on the steel I am using, but it's not always necessary. I use them to refine the edge and remove the burr so I can make sure the edge bevels are meeting properly before I go to the finer stones.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:49 pm 

Thanks Taz! Any opinions on the combos?

Mowgs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:07 pm 
Forum Moderator

I have a king 1000/6000 combo. It's ok, but as an entry level stone; I haven't used mine in years. The Bester 1200/Rika 5K is a great 2 stone combo! Maybe someone can comment on the Imanishi 1K/6K combo?

The synthetic blue aoto are nice, but somewhat slow.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:11 pm 

That's odd...I'd swear I replied to this yesterday.

When bridging that gap, especially for single bevels, I love my Shapton Pro 2k. It cuts fast to eat up burrs, and leaves a nice crispy shoulder.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]