It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:37 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: New gyuto to fill out collection
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:26 pm 

So I'm thinking about getting another Gyuto from Mark. Mostly to try something new out and to get feel for what profile and steels I really enjoy.

So far gyutos I have owned or owned and some thoughts on them

Takeda 210: Sharpened up easily and is quite thin but the blade profile is too tall for my liking.
Addict 1: Too tall and wedges quite a bit.
Konosuke 270 HD: My favorite so far nice and thin will cut reasonably well just based on thinness. Possibly still a bit tall.
Artifex 210: Solid knife for the price had to round off sharp choil and spine.
Kikuichi TKC 240: Love this knife just wish it was WA handled. Nice geometry takes a great edge.

So basically what I have learned is that I don't enjoy tall gyutos. I have CCK1303 if I want to use something tall. Don't really care if it's carbon or stainless. Thinness and or grind are extremely important, it's very annoying to have knives wedge in carrots or have to use extra effort to force the knife through food. Also retention and lack of chipping are important.

Some knives I'm looking at

Ultimatum in M390: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/riulm3st.html
Moritaka 250 http://www.chefknivestogo.com/moritakagyuto.html
Tanaka Damascus 270 http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tanakagyuto.html
Kanehiro ginsan http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kagigy24.html

Any thoughts would help

Thanks,
Josh

Post subject: Re: New gyuto to fill out collection
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:04 pm 
Forum Moderator

I have the 240 Tanaka Sekiso and I love it. Great convex grind. It slices thru most foods well, may snap some thicker carrots depending on how thick your slices are. I'm still on the OOTB edge after using it at home for a few weeks; its the only knife that I didn't sharpen OOTB. Stropped once in that time and its effortless thru most foods.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:37 pm 

taz575 wrote:I have the 240 Tanaka Sekiso and I love it. Great convex grind. It slices thru most foods well, may snap some thicker carrots depending on how thick your slices are. I'm still on the OOTB edge after using it at home for a few weeks; its the only knife that I didn't sharpen OOTB. Stropped once in that time and its effortless thru most foods.

Your glowing praise of that knife is what got me to give it a serious look. any ideas on what the weight is or how it compares to other knifes height wise?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:41 pm 
Forum Moderator

It's much narrower than the Addict 2. I'll try to get some pics of the 240 gyutos that I have tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:48 pm 

That would be great thanks a bunch Taz.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:26 pm 
Forum Moderator

Ok, got some pics for you!

Top to bottom: Addict 2, Tanaka Sekiso, 240mm Artifex, 240mm Kikuichi Carbon Elite

Heel height measurements are as follows: 2 1/16" for the Addict 2, 2" for the Tanaka Sekiso, 1 7/8" for the Artifex, 1 15/16" for the Kikuichi, which has been sharpened a lot. So I guess there isn't as much difference as I thought? The Addict 2 is taller and feels a bit different, where the other 240's I have feel much nicer. May be the balance?

Tanaka on top, Addict 2 on the bottom:

I like the less curve of the Tanaka more than the rounded belly at the tip of the Addict 2.

Choil pic, Tanaka on the top left, Addict 2 on the bottom right. The Tanaka is thicker with a convex grind that brings the bevel thinner behind the edge. The Addict 2 is more of a full flat grind, starting thinner at the spine, but ending up a little thicker behind the edge.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:12 am 

Thanks a bunch Taz. Looks like this is turning into a one on one chat lol. Damn kinda bummed like the looks of that Tanaka but it is definitely taller than what I want. I guess I'm basically looking for a gyuto that is just tall enough to clear my knuckles. I do like the grind on that Tanaka though I'm really starting to dislike knives with plain flat grinds they never seem to perform all that well from what I have experienced.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:42 am 

OK was just in the kitchen using my 240 TKC and realized that it is pretty much the perfect blade height for me. Anyone have an idea what the height on the knife is?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:58 am 

bump for some more ideas.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]