It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:44 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Tojiro itk kiritsuke
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:51 pm 

Quick question. The Tojiro kiritsuke, what is the blade width? One review stated it might be too thin. My Hiromoto AS chef knife is 2.2mm, I wouldn't imagine the Tojiro would be any thinner? For anyone using it, how do you like it? Between this and a kanefusa, just for there steel and reactivity what would yall recommend? Thank you for ANY input.
Nathan

Post subject: Re: Tojiro itk kiritsuke
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:08 am 

I read on another forum that the spine above the heel is ~4mm with some minor under+overgrinds (correctable via thinning).

Just some input - spine width is not exactly indicative of performance. Some nice knives have widths upwards of 4mm, but have great grinds and are thin at the edge.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:25 am 

Thank you. I was just curious on width of knife. It looks anything but flimsy. I'm putting in an order for one soon and just needed some input. 4mm sure doesn't seem thin imo. Again, appreciate the input.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:29 pm 

Thank you for the link, lot of good info about the knife. Now, if you remove the kurouchi finish, is the entire knife now reactive like the exposed edge was, or is it still just the former exposed edge that is still reactive?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:17 pm 
Site Admin

The tang is thick but it tapers down quickly. One inch away from the end of the handle the knife is 3mm thick. Half way it's 2mm.

The kurouchi finish is reactive too. Removing the finish will not change this. It will still form patina rather quickly.

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]