It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:54 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Takeda and some affordable knives.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:21 pm 
Site Admin

Hey mark, it's randy in Richmond va. I bought a takeda gyuto and the box cutter a while back and am very pleased with the knives and the service. I'm looking at a new takeda deba, but I can't tell from the picture if it's a double bevel or not. Also I was looking at the yamashin knives. When will they be available? I'd like to point all my younger cooks towards some entry level, affordable knives since they are all using awful mass produced junk. The yamashin seems to fit the bill, but I was wondering if there is another brand I should be checking out too. Their budget would be like 150$ for a chef knife and a petty.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Takeda and some affordable knives.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:27 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Randy,

I'm glad you're enjoying the Takedas. I like my little box cutter too.

The Takeda deba is two sided.

The Yamashins are on order and I should have them in the next few weeks but it's always hard to estimate. I ordered the several weeks ago but it's my first order with them so I'm not sure. They should be a step up in quality from the Tojiro ITK shirogami knives that we sell. You may want to look at those as well. They're inexpensive entry level white #2 knives at great prices: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/toitkshse.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:36 pm 
Site Admin

Also if you wanted a good and cheap yo handled knife you could have them try my Artifex. It's only $70 and it's popular with line cooks.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:06 am 
Forum Moderator

Artifex 210 or 240 and a Fujiwara 150mm FKM Petty would work well for the chef knife and a petty knife. I gave my buddy a Fujiwara FKM a couple of months ago and it's still going strong on it's original edge. He used it at 2 pig roasts during that time and at home almost daily.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]