It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:32 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: M390 Ultimatum WIP!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:20 pm 
Forum Moderator

Pahk the cahr in Bahstan? :) I'm from CT, neighbor!! You should stop down some time!

Customer got the knife safe and sound in Canada in 2 days via UPS, but didn't get to use it much since it came when most of the prep was done.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:54 pm 

Damn two more folks in the New England area. Man I hope I get stationed out there again.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:49 am 

hi taz: could you give me some of your thought & comment about this M390 gyuto?? thanks!! btw, nice D handle!!:thumbsup:
-charles

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:43 pm 
Forum Moderator

It was a bit different. Height seemed a tad narrow compared to other 240's I am used to. Profile is very similar to the 240 Artifex. Edge was very sharp OOTB and I got a few small slices from just handling the blade before I got smart and taped it up. The blade is fairly robust and heavier that I thought it would be for the narrowness of the blade. The left side is close to a flat/convex grind and the right side is convexed in a Saber grind halfway up the blade, then turning into a full convex/flat grind towards the tip for a crazy thin tip. I didn't get to use it since it was a customers knife, so I don't know performance wise how it cuts. The customer told me that once he got used to cutting with it, that it was a beast and cuts very nicely.

Mark.L on here is the owner if he wants to chime in about the blade itself or if you want to PM him! If you are interested in the M390 steel, I got 30, yes 30, 210mm Artifex to rehandle yesterday for Mark!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:05 pm 

M390 is interesting. The blade is allot heavier then I also thought for its size. Its took some getting use too, but now the knife is a beast. I toke it through my whole line of stone I have and it behaved really differently then any other steel I have ever used. It took a really long time to get a bur going. But polished in no time. Couple of strokes over the stone and it mirror like edge.

Page 2 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2