It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:25 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: What progression do you use with the EP?
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:12 pm 
Site Admin

This is a common question I get all the time by email. Any thoughts or recommendations?

I have a ton of different stones and I still usually go through the choseras:

Then I strop on the machine with bala loaded with co paste and that's usually where I stop.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: What progression do you use with the EP?
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:33 pm 

I will second that! I have the custom chosera EP. So chosera all the way and then bare leather strop, for some reason I like the clean leather more than loaded, just my opinion.

Drew Hostetler

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:52 pm 
Forum Moderator

Re profiling: Atoma 140 / 400 / 600 / 1200 / Chosera 1k / 3k / Haka Tomae / Yaginoshima Asagi / Ozuku Asagi spritzed with 1µ Poly Diamond.

Sharpening from scratch OTB (no re profiling): Chosera 1k / 3k / Haka Tomae / Yaginoshima Asagi / Ozuku Asagi spritzed with 1µ Poly Diamond.

Touch up: Hakka Tomae / Ozuku Asagi spritzed with 1µ Poly Diamond (both Jnats).

Maintenance: Strop after each use on bench strop loaded with 1µ Boron Carbide.

.......but I gotta admit that at times I change the progression mood & knife dependent.......

:)

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 5:15 pm 
Forum Moderator

I'm set in my ways now, but sometimes I change progressions.

From scratch / reprofiling: 140 Atoma, 320 DMT, 1k,2k,5k,8k Shapton Pro. Finishing stone can be 15k Shapton, Japanese natural or a compound of sorts.

I started out with the Chosera's and they are very good, but I don't like the 5k Chosera that much and the 140 Atoma is just so damn fast :D

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 1:34 pm 

FWIW, my progression is as follows:

Sharpening: Chosera 400, 800, 2k, 5k, 10k, then 1m, .5m, .25m diamond on leather or balsa, depending upon my mood. Lately I am preferring the balsa, since I believe it to have less give.

For touch up, usually start with either the Chosera 2k or 5k and go up.

Reprofiling: add the Atoma 140 first, then stock EP stones until I'm happy, then back to the Choseras. I will intermix a 220 or 320 DMT in there as needed.

German knives, etc.: stock EP stones, up to 1000, then maybe .5 CrOx, depending on the steel.

Maintenance: I have a 3x8 strop charged with 1m diamond that I keep in the kitchen.

This is working very well for me right now, but it's subject to change without notice, particularly if I want a new stone to play with............... :mrgreen:

We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........

Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:32 pm 

Madrookie, curious you spray diamond on a hard j-natural polishing stone. My last polish stone is an Ozuku but I usually just rub it with a nagura stone to start a slurry. The diamond seems like the last thing you would want if striving for a natural finish? Does it provide more bite to the bevel?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:54 am 
Forum Moderator

Hi Mucho Bocho:

My last Jnat is also the Ozuku Asagi.

When you say strive for a natural finish, are you referring to looks or actual cutting function...???

I am not bothered with aesthetics.

I find that using 1µ Mono diamond spray from HA on the Ozuku, really produces a great slurry and also leaves a nice semi-refined toothy bite in its wake.

Then as you finish up, use less & less pressure and plenty more water spray until there is no more slurry and just clear water with the lightest of strokes - the last 20 strokes I alternate the blade after each stroke - ever so lightly deburring after a set of strokes on a hard felt block.

It appears (IMHO) that this edge outlasts all the other combos I have tried....

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:31 pm 

Mad, This makes me very happy to hear as ironically I only have one diamond spray and its from HA and is 1u too. Like minds, maybe like vendor too.

I'm going to give it a go as your description is easy to follow.

I just picked up a couple of additions yesterday from Mark. Added

Finger Stones
1200 Bester
Natural Aoto
balsa strop
horse strop

I'm thinking about changing my current progression for double bevel japanese knives maintenance: chocera 1,3,5,10K. Ohair, Ozuku, unloaded roo strop. felt in-between

to:
1200 Bester
Aoto
Ohair
Ozuku + Diamond spray as described

What do you think about that? I'm hoping the aoto will bridge the gap from Bester to Ohair?

Do you stop with Ozuku-Diamond? No stropping? Is the edge hair-poping and bitty?

I like long lasting, thats why sometimes on my heavier knives I'll add a half-hair width micro-bevel usually 7 degrees higher than my bevels which range from 15 to 18 a side.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:25 pm 
Forum Moderator

"Do you stop with Ozuku-Diamond? No stropping? Is the edge hair-poping and bitty? " - yep, I stop here - no stropping till after my first use of the knife - then I strop with 1µ Boron Carbide, also from HA - this I do after each use and the edge lasts months before returning to the stones - the Boron Carbide works faster and leaves a far superior slicer edge than 1µ diamond.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:17 pm 

Got ya. The boron carbide on what substrate? Balsa, leather? I'm assuming your using a bench strop? If so what is your set up?

Page 1 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next