It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:35 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Wants a Nakiri and Suji
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:49 pm 
Site Admin

Hi

I'm looking to buy on or two knives to be used at home (Not professionally)

The idea is that the two should compliment each other and so cover most of my needs in the kitchen.
I want the best, so price is really not an issue. I don't necessarily want the most expensive knife, but I want the best edge so to speak. What I don't want is to buy a knife that I really don't need, so I start out with a few good ones and expand on that when and if needed.
I really like the Japanese style knives and spent some time looking at the Moritaka and Takeda series
I also want learn how to sharpen my knives, and need some tips for a basic starterset of stones.

What i do most is cut vegetables. second is chopping up chicken breast, pork and beef (meat with no bones in it)

First I thought of a nakiri style for the veggies and perhaps something else for meat.
After reading several posts on the forum I now think that the Takeda Banno Bunka perhaps is even more versatile and can be used for both tasks What is your opinion on this?
I also consider the kiritsuke 240. How does that compare to the two others with regards to the need I have?

From what I understand all these type of knives have a relatively thin blade and are not really suitable for heavy duty work.
My heavy duty is limited to the occasional hole chicken and cutting off a fish head or two.
Can some of the above mentioned knives be used for this, or should I consider getting a deba or something similar as well?

I also want a knife to use for carving(roast, turkey etc) and filleting fish. Keeping with the Japanese theme I do consider a sashimi type knife.
There are so meany. Single vs double beveled edge. different length and materials.
it must take a razor edge, be relatively easy to sharpen, and maintain sharpness over time (with normal use). Again; price no issue
which should I choose? If you could narrow it down to 3 or 4 I'd bee grateful :)

Best regards

Jan

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Wants a Nakiri and Suji
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:57 pm 
Site Admin

The Takeda Bano Bunka is a really unique and fun to use knife that will serve you well for doing a wide variety of tasks. I think that would be a good choice. It's easy to sharpen and will make short work of most veggies.

I would recommend you try a good slicing knife and I think you would do better with a sujihiki rather than a yanagi. Sujihikis are thin and have a two sided grind and edge. I like this Kanehiro a lot:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kasu271.html

For sharpening all you need to start is a couple good stones. Try these Shapton Glass stones. They're easy to use and work really well:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/shgl4pcset50.html

I did a bunch of instrutional videos and they should get you up and running:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/knshforne1.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:00 am 
Site Admin

PS for chopping through bones you should keep a beater around that you can use for rough work so you don't damage your good knives. If you have an old German knife or a meat cleaver they work pretty well for this type of stuff.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:07 am 

I just wanted to say thank you for a quick response
Thank you , Mark :)

I'm going with your advice, and looking forward to receiving my order.

Jan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:00 pm 
Site Admin

Your welcome Jan,

Let us know how they work out. :)

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:13 pm 

This is a great solution. A Nakiri and a Sujihiki is exactly what you need, and will cover all your bases. Mark's suggestions are solid on the knives, but it doesn't matter IMO if you go with the Banno Bunka or the Nakiri--either one will perform just the same, so you can pick which one you just like more.

Just remember not to sharpen them identically--since you are setting aside certain tasks for each knife(veg for the nakiri, soft meats for the sujihiki), you can sharpen them to really shine. Put simply: Polish the Nakiri, don't polish the Sujihiki.

SO assuming you bought the Shapton set Mark suggested, don't take the Suji up to 8k. Stop at 4k, maybe even 1k if you are still getting in the groove of sharpening.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]