It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:01 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sharpening and knife recommendations.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:13 am 
Site Admin

Mark,

I'm sure you get these all the time so I'll try and keep it simple. I'm looking to start learning to freehand sharpen (or rather sharpen in general beyond the simple 600grit small arkansas stone I have). I'm wavering between the shun set with the double sided stone and the honing steel, the 6 or 2 piece shapton sets you offer, or the other $139 set you offer. The shapton set is the most appealing because of the inclusion of the 140 grit flattening plate and the splash and go nature of those stones but the shun set is also appealing because of the steel. I currently own/use some thick heavy seeming soft steel knives from both mundial and faberware pro (ugggg, I know) and will be using especially the faberware to practice and learn on BUT I am also looking to start upgrading to some knives that are thinner, harder and more enjoyable to use, mostly with Japanese Style blades. Do you have any sage words of advice on that selection?

Now knives...I will likely be purchasing many knives from you over the next couple years (there is a first house purchase on the horizon so I need to behave) but wanted to start out with something that will give me a good taste of what a nice sharp knife is really about. Being mostly vegetarian (with the exception of fish) I am looking at something thin, not too long and with a relatively straight belly and am heavily gravitating towards a nakiri as I've used an old MAC nakiri (that seemed to be considerably thinner than the current versions) that an old friend had. At first I was looking at the various tojiro offerings, especially the dp damascas. While the carbon steel offerings are interesting, my current lifestyle is a little to rushed and hectic to devote my main knife to that much maintenance at this point. Do these two fit the bill nicely with a thin blade? Also, just today I noticed that you artifex line is soon to have a nakiri. How long before these might be available because these seem much more interesting to me than the vg10 steel?

Thank you for any guidance you could provide and I look forward to making some orders!

Sincerely,

Brian

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Sharpening and knife recommendations.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:51 am 
Forum Moderator

The 5 piece set (Bester 500, Bester 1200, Rika 5K, Eye Loupe and deburring block) is a great set.

Nakiri in AEB-L core, SS damascus on the outside:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/satadana160.html

A thin gyuto (laser types)would also work on veggies. The Artifex 210mm works pretty well with veggies and stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:44 pm 
Site Admin

The 2 pc shapton set should work fine for you. It's all you need to get going. You could also get this Imanishi 2 sided stone for less money and buy a stone holder for $25. That would be a good start. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/imtwosi1kst.html

I'm out of the cheap flattening plate for about a month. We just ran out today. We have the DMT plates which are better but more expensive.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:45 pm 
Site Admin

I like that nakiri Tim mentioned a lot. It's a good one and it looks great too. Sharpens easily and performs really well and is easy to sharpen.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/satadana160.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]