It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:27 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 5 of 5 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: RichMond Ultimatum in M390 steel
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:53 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yay, USPS must have heard me! Ultimatum arrived!

The blade came with some bluish green gummy rubber to protect the edge and I gotta clean the smudges off of the blade. Overall, reminds me a lot of the 240mm Artifex, but a bit more robust. Spine is very nicely rounded, tip is crazy thin! Sharp edge on it too. Feels pretty robust, but it seems thin at the spine.

Left to right: 5460yr old Stabilized Bog Oak, 416SS spacer, Buffalo Horn Spacer, SS Spacer, and then 3 pieces of Dyed Red Buffalo Horn. Going to end up as a D shaped Wa handle!

Hopefully it will kinda look like this when done!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:11 pm 

Beautiful handle!

“If one really wants to be master of an art, technical knowledge of it is not enough. One has to transcend technique so that the art becomes an ‘artless art’ growing out of the Unconscious.” Eugen Herrigel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:16 pm 
Forum Moderator

I hope so!! That is a photo edit job :)

This is the other option with the more subtle/solid red buffalo horn and the darker piece of Bog oak:

It's actually kinda cool. One of the Bog Oak pieces is more flecked with lighter greys and browns and matches the red horn with more white and lighter reds in it and the other piece of Bog Oak is darker with faint streaking and matches up with the more subtle red horn.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:27 am 
Forum Moderator

WickedSharp wrote:MadRookie wrote to WickedSharp in message:
"Your post borders on being flippant - a bent tip could be caused by so many factors, either way I believe that Mark will sort & honor his products - please, I will not warn you again."
MadRookie.

Response:

I'm glad you agree that Richmond Knives and Chef Knives to Go will honor their products. That was the point of my post. I do hope people feel free to post trueful feedback about their knives. I have found posts on this forum to be quite valuable, including the post above mine from another subscriber that recommends returning the knife.

Ok, cool - all is good then.

:)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:58 pm 
Forum Moderator

m390-ultimatum-wip-t973.html

Ultimatum WIP is up!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:38 am 

Mark will replace my knife, no problems there. He's already responded to an email, on a Saturday. I've ordered several knives form him and he's always honored his return policy.

I mentioned the tip for a few reasons. First, to see if it was an anomaly or if there are some manufacturing kinks to be worked out. Looking at mine closely I think the tip was assymetrically ground. Perhaps that or the heat from grinding caused it to warp? Second, I'm only an apprentice sharpener but have fixed a number of knives with broken tips, uneven blades, and so on. But I wouldn't know what to do with a bent tip.

Anyway my knife is on its way back. I hope to get one with a larger handle put on, but I need to talk with Mark to see what my options are.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:19 am 

I got mine yesterday. It also has a barely noticeable curve to the left at the very tip - it's not enough to bother me but if it does I'll fix it myself. Haven't used it yet but will do a mini-review when I've lived with it for a while.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:54 pm 

Do these have any actual flat in the blade? fRom taz's photo it looks like on giant continuous belly.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:43 am 

There is no flat area at all. Even the heel is higher then the belly of the knife. Its so small its hard to tell but when you start sharpening it, you will notice that a normal movement over the stone wont touch the heel. You have to raise the heel a touch to get it.

Page 5 of 5 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5