It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:58 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Balsa wood strop for Edge Pro question
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:46 am 

How thick is the balsa wood on the blank? If I get one I would want to be able to try different grits on it. That might mean I'd have to sand it to remove a coarser grit than what I want to apply something finer. I think if I have grit x on it and want to put some coarser paste on it that would be ok. However, if I want to apply a finer grit than what I already have on it I'd need to sand the coarser grit off which would thin the wood. That is why I'm asking. If I do this I'd start with a finer grit and apply new grits with a coarser one each time. After I decide what I want to stay with I'd need to sand it all off and apply what I want to remain on it. I'm assuming the wood is at least 1/8" thick but I'm hoping it is thicker.

I've never used a balsa strop. Any tips on why finer grits would be more appropriate or visa\versa would be appreciated. Any other advise also.

Thanks,
Jack

Post subject: Re: Balsa wood strop for Edge Pro question
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:30 pm 
Forum Moderator

No idea how thick they are. I use magnetic balsa strips and they are 2 or 3mm thick.

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:13 am 

I emailed CKTG about this and Mark replied the balsa wood is 1/2" thick which should be plenty thick enough to apply paste, sand off, reapply, etc. enought times to decide what I'd like to stick with. Might even end up getting two or more to use different grits or pastes without re-sanding.

Jack

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:57 am 
Forum Moderator

Sanding Balsa strops isn't a great idea. It is just begging for grit contamination issues between compounds AND the sanding grit.

If you want to go this route consider a magnetic base and magnetic backed balsa, available in bench strops or for the EP.

The EP strops are 1/8" thick and the bench sized strops are 1/2" thick. I'd suggest dedicating a strop to a single grit. If you HAVE to, only go to a coarser grit, not a finer one.

If this drives you nuts, consider using paper instead of balsa as your strop.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:35 pm 
Site Admin

jackknifeh wrote:I emailed CKTG about this and Mark replied the balsa wood is 1/2" thick which should be plenty thick enough to apply paste, sand off, reapply, etc. enought times to decide what I'd like to stick with. Might even end up getting two or more to use different grits or pastes without re-sanding.

Jack

The 1/2 inch thick balsa is for the handamerican strops, not the edge pro strops. The edge pro strops are thin, .15 inches or 3.5mm.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]