It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:55 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Kanehiro Ginsanko Steel
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:19 pm 

I know there are at least a few of us interested in these new Kanehiro stainless knives, as they seem like a nice handmade knife at a very good price.

What I'd like to know is if anyone (Mark) can give any information on how the G3 performs in these knives. At 62hrc, are they chippy, tough to sharpen, or have they hit the sweet spot between tough and hard? It looks from the pictures like they're ground with a big wide bevel almost like a single bevel knife (shinogi line?). Is this accurate, or is it just the angle of the picture? Finally, how do they taper from spine to edge and handle to tip?
Thanks for any further info on these knives.

Post subject: Re: Kanehiro Ginsanko Steel
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:33 pm 

Nothing?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:44 am 

More useful comments below, but I LOVE these Kanehiro Ginsans.

I missed out on the AS version before the price jumped, so I didn't wait this time. Missing out enabled me to realize that all stainless steel is probably better for my needs anyway, since other family members would be using the knives, and might not care for carbon properly (even with the san mai’s limited exposure).

I ended up buying two Kanehiro Ginsans, in the 240mm gyuto and 150mm petty varieties. I like that they are handmade, well made, well reviewed (AS versions) and priced right. Those facts appealed to me, and they seem to be an exceptional value (price:quality) for an avid home cook with knife skills. Like many others who’ve posted on the forum, the Konosuke HH and various Richmond knives were finalists in my decision process. I’m sure they’re great knives. I simply pulled the trigger on these because of the impending price increase.

So much of what people raved about in the AS version (geometry, handle, fit and finish, a rugged gunmetal look, all around performance) is present in this G3 version. Here is a great review thread: kanehiro-240mm-gyuto-chef-knives-to-go-and-value-t199.html

Looks are a matter of personal preference, but I think the rugged gunmetal grey outer stainless, with the wavy hamono-ish line along the shiny G3 steel core look awesome. I also liked the patinaed edge of a stainless clad AS knife. There is something about subtle differentiating style ques. The black buffalo horn and light magnolia handle complement nicely, and complete the package.

After initial uses, I felt like the magnolia wood handles were soft and would absorb moisture. This was a little disconcerting, because I like to keep things clean and nice. I babied them for a day or two, but felt silly avoiding moisture with a kitchen knife. I had just refinished some teak outdoor furniture, and had leftover protectant meant for hard woods like teak and magnolia. I already knew I was going to keep the knives, so I decided to rub the varnish into the handles in an attempt to protect them. Pretty much nothing got absorbed, even with two coats. I was not about to use sandpaper to prep the surface, because obviously this wood is dense and not absorbent. I was happy to be wrong, and the handles still look great.

The 240 gyuto was very sharp out of the box. The 150 petty was also sharp, but not consistent/smooth. After some initial otb cutting of random things for fun, I brushed the knives against a 1k stone to clean up the edges. I really just honed the 240 on the stone, but the petty benefitted from more serious touch-up.

When sharpening, I followed the existing bevel at the blade. There is the big wide bevel you noticed, but also a smaller bevel at the edge (AS reviewer claims 12 degrees. I won’t argue because I don’t know). The knife didn’t need thinning, so I didn’t mess with the big wide bevel.

I can't give you a useful comparative answer on sharpening ease/difficulty, as I don’t have experience with sharpening knives made of high-end steel at varing hardenss. I can say that I set and removed a smooth/even burr, and it was much easier than on any of the hodge-podge-hand-me-down knife drawer Wusthofs I’ve used and sharpened.

Even with the high hardness, these knives do not seem brittle. They require honing, and when the do, I can feel that the edge is rolled over, not all chipped up. I suspect the angle of sharpening would change results, and is something that somebody could play around with, as I’d love to hear suggestions for this knives optimum angle.

For context: I can put a clean and sharp edge on a knife (learned on pocket knives, eventually moved up to kitchen knives once the need/desire arrived). I’m still learning (a lot, especially from forums like this one), and the 1k stone is the highest I own. Now that I have the knives to warrant a purchase, I think I'll be getting something in the 6k range. [Recommendations anyone?]

The 240mm gyuto is probably the more relevant knife to review for others; but for small jobs like weekday breakfasts and lunches, the 150mm petty is a star. 150mm is way larger than pairing knives I’m accustomed to, but this size can do much more, while not being ungainly for in-hand work (I’m 6’4 and have big hands, so ymmv). The gyuto tends to come out for dinner, the fancy meal at my house, where much more prep takes place. It is a beast, and I love the 240mm size given that I’m stepping-up from an 8in chef knife. Bigger has been better for me with both of these knives.

The 240mm gyuto balances about 2in in front of the handle. That seems like a lot, so even with a pinch grip, it is blade heavy. This is not the knife for someone who wants the balance point right at the pinch point/handle; however, I believe this blade weight aids in the fact that the knife simply falls through food. Cutting soft stuff like tomatoes was so easy it made me giggle. Translucent thin slices take no effort. Even massive home-grown carrots had very little wedging and splitting. The knife does the work.

I usually push-cut and/or slice. These knives do those things really well. Even with German knives, I usually would only rock-chop on herbs. I tried it with these knives, but I felt like I had to be much more delicate when doing so, because these blades feel so much thinner than what I’m used to. Not that they actually chipped or cracked or anything, but I guess I’ll have to build confidence in that motion with these thinner blades.

I thought I might have wanted a larger flat spot on the gyuto, but the 2.5in at the heel on this one has been enough, making clean separations (even when I try to show off with high speed knife skills, there haven’t been accordion strips).

The spine is softened, but not rounded. The heel is softened, but only on the right side. This doesn’t bother me at all, and I only have a very subtle tough patch on my right index finger (not even enough to call it a callous like chefs get).

The taper from heel to tip is fairly even, maybe a bit more progressive in the final third of the knife. If I look down the spine very carefully, I can see a tiny hammer mark/indentation that keeps it from being perfectly straight. Hey, it’s handmade, and I like the character that makes this “my” knife. Looking carefully down the blade, it’s nice and straight.

As for the taper from spine to edge, the knife is thin behind the edge and tapers nicely, such that if food sticks, there is no vacuum/suction that keeps it on the blade. You can even just flick your wrist to make the sticky piece fall back into place on the cutting board.
I hope all this info helps. I combed the internet to learn about the knives that would be right for me, and now that I own knives worth reviewing, I did ;-) It might not be as technical a write-up as you desire, but it’s what I can offer. This review has turned into an essay and I want to wrap it up, but I’ve learned so much from other people posts and wanted to contribute. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:00 am 

aji1234,
Awesome man, thanks for the info, I appreciate the in depth review. Sounds like a winner.
Thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:47 pm 
Forum Moderator

http://www.chefknivestogoforum.com/post1433.html#p1433

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:46 pm 

Any special care required for this steel?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:47 am 
Site Admin

It's fully stainless so it's pretty care free. Ginsanko is good stuff. If heat treated well it takes an edge pretty easily and holds that edge for a good period of time. usually not very chippy.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]