It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:35 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: What's your current sharpening routine?
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:36 pm 
Site Admin

There's lots of ways to sharpen and I enjoy reading what other people are doing. How do you usually sharpen a knife? What stones? Do you strop?

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: What's your current sharpening routine?
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 4:23 pm 
Forum Moderator

Started out with the King 1000/6000 combo. Then added in a XXC Diamond Plate, then a Shapton Pro 2K, then a Henkels 3000/8000 splash n go, then picked up a 600 grit something or other (cheap one, no brand name??). Recently, I picked up a Beston 1200, Rika 5K and a King 800. I also picked up a Cnat 12K from Woodcraft, but it's a TOTALLY different feeling stone than a Japanese water stone. It's stupidly hard and I use the diamond plate to get a slurry going. Very slow cutting and I'm still figuring out how to work with it. Haven't used the King combo or the Shapton 2K in a while now.

Lately, it's been the Beston 1200 and Rika 5K, and stropped/deburred on some laminate, or followed up with the 8K on the Henkels splash n go then deburr/strop. I have been playing with some laminates for knife handles (Home made version of Micarta). I found out that it works very well for deburring and stropping like the Rock Hard felt does, and I've started to use some 1 micron diamond spray on the stropping pieces.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:47 pm 
Forum Moderator

Right now it's pretty much all shapton.

320, 1k, 2k, 5k, 8k. That's it most of the time, but when I really wan't an insane edge, 15k or a Jnat finisher. Then strop with 0.125 CBN or 0.25µ HA spray

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:50 pm 
VIP Member

If I stay on top of my edges, I start with a Shapton Pro 1k followed by a the 5k in the same line. I will deburr between stones with a Rock Hard Felt. Then I go to balsa with .5µ CrO and finish with Bark tanned Bovine leather loaded with .25 Diamond Spray.

If I am reprofiling or starting starting over, like I just did with my Addict 1, I will start with my Atoma 140x. Proceed though my Shapton line starting at 320x up through 8k and then to the strops I mentioned earlier.

Even for the pro setting I work in, I really like the feeling those strops give to my edges. I will use the strops almost nightly after work and it keeps me from using the stones for well over a week.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:49 pm 

It almost seems redundant. Seems?

Ok, Full OTB progression.

400 chosera, 1000 chosera, 3000 chosera, 5000, chosera, some big grey Jnat I got from Mark, Takashima Jnat, Israeli nat. Strops on balsa, 1mic boron, .5 chromium ox, .25 diamond, .125 boron.

I don't use leather much anymore except for touching up. Like a steel. Split and smooth.

I sharpen all my double bevel knives the same regardless of steel.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:35 pm 

Well figure I'd chime in with the two routines I use.

1# Man made stones: 400, 1.2 king, green brick, 4k Imanishi, 6k Sanyo, 8-12 Kitayama, 1 mic boron, .5 chrom, .1 diamond and if it's fresh off the stone I'll toss in a trip to the balsa loaded strop with .05 Colloidal silicas which really doesn't cut pre-say but makes one hell of a shine.

2# full natural. 800 Red Amakusa, 1k White Amakusa, 2k aoto, Ozukuyama asagi, Ohira renge suita and might try out my Nakayama Honyama on the single bevels. But then the strops are the same but I don't bother with the 1mic boron kind of redundant since the nats will easily get there. Do have a few other naturals that I'll swap out some times: Jyunsyouhonyama (now in my kit for work if I need a fast touch up), Hideri Namito (really want to use this stone more but the bottom is very uneven so can't really get a good mud worked up on it without it running off) and last is a Ohira Tomae Medium Quality (kind of a different stone haven't use it a ton but good 6k-8k)

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:42 am 

I think that big gray jnat is the Ohira Tomae but can't say for sure. I try to keep my head clutter free from details.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:58 am 

Yeah I hear you. God only knows what the rest of my head is cluttered with. But I think that it's a good to use after a 5k but in my opinion not fully necessary, (although I might use it in between my aoto and ozuku to see what happens) but that's just my .02.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:29 am 
Forum Moderator

Re profiling: Atoma 140 / 400 / 600 / 1200 / Chosera 1k / 3k / Haka Tomae / Yaginoshima Asagi / Ozuku Asagi spritzed with 1µ Poly Diamond.

Sharpening from scratch OTB (no re profiling): Chosera 1k / 3k / Haka Tomae / Yaginoshima Asagi / Ozuku Asagi spritzed with 1µ Poly Diamond.

Touch up: Hakka Tomae / Ozuku Asagi spritzed with 1µ Poly Diamond (both Jnats).

Maintenance: Strop after each use on bench strop loaded with 1µ Boron Carbide.

.......but I gotta admit that at times I change the progression mood & knife dependent.......

:)

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]