It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:22 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Which knife would you go for and why????
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:18 pm 

Hi everyone,

Can you help me out please....

if you have to buy a gyuto and these are the options, which one would you buy and the reason behind it.

Thank you very much

First of all it's Konosuke HH

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/ko24stwawebh.html

Secondly, it's Kanehiro ginsan Gyuto

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kagigy24.html

Thirdly is Suisin Inox Honyaki

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/suinhowa21.html

And last but not least the Sakai Takayuki Ginsan

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/satagiwa24.html

These are the one that i thought i like but i dont know much about the difference apart from its price. If you think of some other ones, ill be more than happy to hear from you.

Please can you give me some suggestions....

Thank you in advance.

Tommy

Post subject: Re: Which knife would you go for and why????
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:23 pm 
Site Admin

Get the Kanehiro. Almost no one in the United States owns one of their ginsan gyutos (we've sold only a few so far). They're nice and a great price right now but I'm going to raise them as soon as my distributor tells me to.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:19 am 

id seriously consider either the kanehiro or even the konosuke ginsanko over the others. but im also slowly getting away from laser thin gyutos. FWIW i dont think theres a discernable difference in performance between suisin inox and the kono HH.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:34 pm 

chefknivestogo wrote:Get the Kanehiro. Almost no one in the United States owns one of their ginsan gyutos (we've sold only a few so far). They're nice and a great price right now but I'm going to raise them as soon as my distributor tells me to.

Could you elaborate a little more on the characteristics of these Kanehiro stainless, like the relative toughness and sharpenability of the Gin 3 at 62hrc? (compared to Kono HD?)
Would you say they're a good fit for those of us who appreciate a good cutter with good fit and finish (rounded spine?) but don't like the really thin knives (like Kono or Suisin IH) for an all purpose gyuto?

These look like a great value, I appreciate any more info you can provide.
Thanks.

Last edited by Chefdog on Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:46 pm 

im soo close to picking up a kanehiro myself. like chefdog, im just kinda waiting to here more about them. is there a knife on the market that maybe its geometry or profile may me similar to?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:36 pm 

I agree with you LoL. I'm most interested to know if these have any tendencies towards being brittle/chippy? And if they have the same geometry as the AS knives. I really like the idea of a nicely finished hand made gyuto with a little bit of character without costing an arm and a leg. I like a little more weight and a little more steel behind the edge that will tolerate some lateral torque better than the "lasers" out there which are, IMO, too thin for any tip down rocking motion like quickly mincing herbs or garlic for instance. Anxiously waiting to hear a little more before pulling the trigger.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:16 am 

Bump for any more info on Kanehiro G3???

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:21 pm 

i just received my Kanehiro G3 gyuto today and got to use it in the kitchen...it's a great knife and i enjoyed it so much...i did a damage to it too...ouch...it was great with vegetable but at the end of the night when i cleaned my knife, i saw a bit of a chip on the blade...i did cut up some quails during service and i thought it might be the reason...not a major damage and i think i could fix it when i put it on stone. Over all, i really like this and have no regret purchasing it, i just have to be careful in using it.

Thank you Mark for being patient and great service, would happily recommend your business to all of my friends.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]