It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:26 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Carbon Recommendation Please
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:49 pm 

I've been shopping for a new 240mm gyuto for a while now and decided I wanted a nice carbon knife. I want it to be a good workhorse and something I don't have to baby on the line (aside from the obvious carbon care) The popular choices seem to be the Masamoto HC and Misono swedish, however I have a 210 UX-10 gyuto and I hate it. I need to have something with more belly, my hands are just way to big for that knife. I would prefer a yo- handle but it's not really a big deal. The one knife that caught my eye but I can find no information on it, Sakai Takayuki blue steel, which is available on ebay only. If someone would be so kind to guide me in the right direction that would be greatly appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Carbon Recommendation Please
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:50 pm 

Oh I forgot to mention, I want a pure carbon knife, I don't want cladded (hiromotos) or semi-stainless either!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:03 pm 
Site Admin

Did we talk on the phone today? I recommended a TKC to someone with similar requirements and tastes.

How about my Addict in 52100? It's a wa handle but it's made of really good steel and is nice and tall with a good amount of belly and it's tough.

The Masamoto HC is a good knife too.

I can order the Takayuki for you if you like. It usually takes a couple weeks. If you want their blue steel yo knife let me know.

Richmond Laser

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:21 pm 

We didn't talk on the phone, funny at the coincidence though. We have talked in the past though via emails, I bought a moritaka from you about 6 months ago, and like 10 knives from you before that. You need to bring back the seconds page! I actually just bought the Addict in 52100 off of the classified section of the forum, so hopefully that'll fit the bill. Is there any more info or many a comparison you could give on the Takayuki, I couldn't find many pictures on it but it seems like it doesn't have much belly and if I decide to get another knife I'd lean toward that Masamoto.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:25 am 

i like the misono swede more than the masamoto hc. if you like belly then you should be happy with the addict. maybe check out a takeda down the road also. lots of people have asked about that takayuki blue steel on other forums and no one seems to have much experience with it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:07 am 
Forum Moderator

10 bucks says you picked the addict. Any takers

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:15 am 
Forum Moderator

What about the Tanaka Sekiso 240mm gyuto? Blue steel damascus, all carbon, works great! Love mine!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:19 am 
Forum Moderator

Ok taz send me 10 bucks he bought mine. Make the check payable to the republician party fun care of ken Schwartz. Put his name in big letters. Wait till he reads this he will crap his pants! I love that guy he's a good friend and can take a joke. Peace bro bullman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:30 am 
Forum Moderator

LOL, I figured Jitter snapped up yours. I was hoping someone would buy it cuz it was calling my name!

You gotta try the Tanaka Sekiso's. Thicker than the Artifex or Addict, but it just cuts amazingly well. Gonna get rehandled soon once I get caught up on the other handles!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:58 am 
Forum Moderator

Let me know when and send me a pic bro! Jmbullman

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]