It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:16 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Good knife under $70.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:15 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mark & Co.,

First of all, thanks for such an excellent and informative website. I'm a vegan home cook getting my first set of knives to take with me while traveling abroad these next couple years for work. I'm going to get either the Tojiro Shirogami Nakiri 165mm or the CCK Small Cleaver as my standard knife (fruit & veg is all I cook), and I'm also trying to pick out a more typical chef's knife so I'll have something around that helpful dinner guests will be comfortable using (and that will keep me used to typical chef's/gyuto knives for when I'm in their kitchens). Do you happen to have any recommendations under $70? I'm traveling for the next three years and won't be in a place where I can sharpen at home, so besides keeping a honing steel with me I'll need to pay for professional sharpening (so I'd like something that maintains it's edge - I quite like carbon but am openminded). Again, I don't cook meat or fish, just looking for a second large vegetable blade to keep around to keep myself familiar with the knives I'll find in friends' kitchens. But that's not the point of the email...

Most importantly, I'm writing to see if you know when you expect to restock the Tojiro DP Paring Knife 90mm (linked above). While I'll get all my other knives here, I'd very much like to also get that one from you all as well (or a recommended substitute in the similar price & quality range).

In any event, I look forward to hearing from you soon.

All best,

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Good knife under $70.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:18 pm 
Site Admin

The Tojiro order just shipped and I should have them in about 10 days.

There are a couple $70 knives that would meet your needs. If you want a good stainless knife try my Artifex.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/riar21.html
If you want a good and inexpensive carbon steel knife try the Fujiwara FKH
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/fujiwara210.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Good knife under $70.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:29 pm 
Forum Moderator

I agree with the Artifex and Fujiwara FKH series. Both are nice and thin. While the Nakiri excels at veggie prep, a gyuto that is thin will also do pretty well in the fruits and veggies tasks, too. The Nakiri is great when you want really thin pieces, but for most cutting, a thin gyuto works well, too.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]