It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:58 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Idahone Ceramic Review
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:05 pm 
Site Admin

Product Id:sharpeningrod
Rating:5
Name:CK
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/idahone.html
Location (City, State):Wash DC
Review:The Idahone Fine is a really decent hone. Previous to this, I was using a global which was quite sufficient for most of my purposes. I bought both the Idahone Fine and the Mac (hey the prices were right) and frankly like both. Surprisingly, though, I like the Idahone Fine the most (of the three I now have). It puts a really nice (every so slight) hone on the blade and its grit seems very refined (does anybody know what it is?). I really was surprised that it seems to work with all the blades I have. Works really well for my carbon steel Sabs and my much harder Moritaka. Even puts a singing edge on my Misonos (both carbon and Ux10). For the price of a decent bottle of wine, you can pick one of these up and really have a great tool for keeping your edges running sharp. Cannot possibly go wrong with this guy, particularly for the price. Finally, if you are trying to decide between the Mac and this hone, I would choose the latter. While the Mac hone is very well built, I think the Idahone has a slight edge on the edge it put on your blades... My take.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Idahone Ceramic Review
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:46 pm 

I agree that the Idahone rod is a nice all purpose rod for both Western and Japanese blades.

I use a real light weight of the blade stroke for best results. Those considering picking one up should buy the eraser too. The eraser works well in removing steel streaks that are left on the rod and I recommend rubbing the rod when it's dry and then rinsing it under water.

I think Mark has that marked as an HA product and at one time it was but now he brings them in directly from the company.

Keith

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:59 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks again for turning me onto them Keith. I owe you for that and many other good tips. When I figure out how to make you a VIP on here I'm going to do it.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:32 pm 

I've had one for a couple of years now (the longer one in fine), agreed!

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:26 pm 

I just picked one up this week. I am very impressed with how well it re-aligns the edge, also seems to have smoothed up a couple imperfections in the edge.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:08 pm 
Forum Moderator

That ceramic rod has been a God-send for my girlfriend's knives. I used to sharpen her prep knives for her at least every other day, now I only sharpen them once a week and ceramic in between sharpenings. This thing is rated at 1,200 grit, and works every bit of 1,200 grit. Great deal, great product!

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:19 pm 

I have had the Idahone rod about a year now. It has totally replaced using a my steel for edge alignment.
One tip though, cleaning the rod. You can buy the eraser, or use bar keepers friend and a green scrubby pad works great
at removing the dark streaks from the honing rod.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:37 pm 

The idahone was the first thing i bought from CKTG, of course I've spent a small fortune there now. I took it with me to my brothers house at Christmas to touch up a knife I use to slice the Christmas ham. My brother was so impressed with it he had me order him one.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:42 pm 

Thanks for the review! I think the Idahone runs about 2000 grit in relation to Japanese water stones.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]