It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:29 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: what stone do i need?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:50 am 

I have a rat 4 that I bought to use camping. it turned out to be a little useless to me. It is too short to really do well splitting wood although it takes a baton without blinking as it has a thick broad spine and good heft. It is too long to really do delicate work and it is too fat to do good food prep and carving.

Well.... I decided I'm not going to baton with it anymore, and i don't mind removing some of the black protective finish to make it a useful blade. I thought about thinning it and really changing the angle. What stone should i use to really set a new edge, maybe convex it for example? My current stone that is the roughest is a chosera 400. Maybe that one is enough? I was thinking about a chosera 220 but maybe something is better as that one seems to really wear fast. Is there something else out there I should look at?

Thanks cooldays

Post subject: Re: what stone do i need?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:29 am 

Unless you are just buying for fun, your 400 should be plenty rough enough.

If you want to convex it though, I'd suggest a mousepad and sandpapers. Worked great for me.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:56 pm 

Well,

I wasn't sure. The rat 4 is very thick and strong. It is absolutely nothing like a kitchen knife. It reminds me when i do tasks like cut fruit and cheese more like I'm preparing food with an axe head....

If you think it is enough I can give it a try thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:38 pm 

The RAT's are only hardened to a 57-58 so they are not difficult to sharpen.

It will never be a kitchen knife and trying to thin it down will only ruin its abilities to perform its intended tasks. The hardness is simply not high enough to support the crazy low angles or high grit finishes so trying will only end in failure.

Last time I sharpened a rat4 I used my 1k & 6k Arashiyama stones.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:17 am 
Forum Moderator

"It is absolutely nothing like a kitchen knife. "

Putting that and Jason's post together - really turning this into a kitchen knife is like trying to drag race a cadillac. It's the wrong tool for the job. There are some rought tasks in the kitchen, so leave it for that and get a kitchen knife instead - you will be much happier.

BTW the Chocera line doesn't have a 220 stone. Are you talking about a Naniwa superstone and - if so - are you also talking about a Naniwa superstone 400? This is a much softer stone than the Chocera.

I could give advice on good coarse stones, but I wouldn't want to encourage you into morphing the knife into something not ideal for any task in particular.

---
Ken

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]