It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:33 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Small gyuto vs santoku
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:17 pm 

I want to get a short gyuto or santoku for my girlfriend. Which would you choose? A 180mm gyuto or a santoku of the same size
Or even 170mm

Mowgs

Post subject: Re: Small gyuto vs santoku
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:33 pm 
Forum Moderator

Maybe the santoku; women tend to like them over gyutos. Also, santoku's seem to have less belly usually.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/dojogyuto180mm.html

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/hisakn19.html

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:40 pm 

I was leaning towards the santoku. However, my fondness of he gyuto shape pulled me into confusion. Also do you sharpen girlfriends wives or just women's knives in general just as sharp as for yourself? My girl is often scared how sharp I like my knives haha

Mowgs

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:56 pm 
Forum Moderator

MOWG <> The Santoku is the veritable "jack-of-all-trades, but master of none." It's a versatile tool that is awesome for a residential kitchen. That said, some people don't like it's bulk. It is not the most nimble of profiles when wielded by an inexperienced hand.

Ironically enough, I have been toying with the idea of throwing another Gyuto of mine on the classified section below. If you're interested in a brand new high performance stainless 180mm Damascus Ryusen Gyuto in VG-10, I was on the fence w/selling it, but I'd consider selling it at 30% discount to the $150 I paid for it.

And in reply, the girl currently residing at my house loves knives scary sharp. In fact, she often requests touch-ups, as well. She like them sharp, but that doesnt mean she respects them in turn...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:33 am 

santoku is just useless fashion. It's designed to do three things but in fact doesn't do anything that well. problem is it has a continuous shallow belly so it doesn't have good board contact anywhere. But it's sheep's foot tips make it less scary so housewives like it. It's just funny to see on TV that even famous chefs are teaching people how to use it by rocking.

I'd recommend a nakiri. it's very useful and she will be staying ahead of the fashion curve.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:37 am 
Forum Moderator

Among the American masses, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a "housewife" more comfortable wielding a Nakiri as to a Gyuto...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:34 pm 

well, I did say fashion instead of comfort. what housewives are comfortable with is not something I can understand. my wife likes a nakiri and when I asked her to choose from a few on CKTG, she chose the kono. yeah, very cute choice. but then, my wife is also Chinese and she has no idea how to rock a knife.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:08 pm 

My wife is a housewife and won't stop using the cheap nakiri despite having a plethora of options around. Women love Nakiris, IME, especially vegetarians.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:27 am 

Doesn't have anything to do with gender...it has to do with function.

Nakiri kicks ass on vegetables...end of story...unless you want an expensive single beveled Usuba which is actually for finer, thin work.
I'll take a flat, light Nakiri over a large non-flat gyuto for vegetables anyday.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]