It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:28 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: New Magnetic Knife Racks
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:08 am 

Ok folks, I'm going to make a batch of magnetic knife racks. I've done a whole bunch of thinking and searching and I think I've come up with a good solution. The knife racks will have continuous rare earth magnets, meaning zero dead spots. It will also have a smooth, clean wood face (no dots or visible metal or magnetics).

The coolest thing Is I've now got a way to maintain durability and structural integrity AND get some seriously cool figured wood on the 'show side' of these racks.

I've dropped $500 in rare earth magnets and am going to get some wood in the next couple of days. I'd love to hear from you on a couple things, since you guys will be the most likely to buy these suckers when they come out.

1) I'm going to make two lengths. I seem to recall from a previous poll (that I can't find now) that 22" was a popular length. What two lengths would cover the bases for most customers, do you think?

2) What woods would you like to see? I'm going to start out with 2-3 different species of figured woods. The only caveat is I'm going to match the species of wood on the front and back. So if I have figured walnut on the front, I will have non-figured walnut on the back. So I need readily available non-figured stock that matches the burl or fiddleback or curly or whatever. Does that make sense?

I'm going to work very hard to keep the price point low on these. My take on knife racks is that they are useful, but not something that people want to drop a huge wad of cash on. I appreciate your feedback at this stage. I think you'll really like these when they come out.

John

Post subject: Re: New Magnetic Knife Racks
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:32 pm 
Site Admin

Hi John,

Post some pictures of these as you make them. I'll take a dozen for the store when you're ready.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:51 pm 

John, We spoke before, I think I did the poll too. 22" is definitely the way to go. Be sure to put enough magnets throughout the wood so that the knives can be place anywhere. I'd like two, I'll leave the wood choice up to you but I do want them to match. for me each rack will need to hold about 9 knives, including a chunky deba and some stainless that really need strong magnets.

Except I'll be adding these to the current collection

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:12 pm 

Ok, I've ordered makore, lacewood, and wenge. I'll also make up some simple walnut ones for the more cost-conscious.

22" and.... 16"?

2" tall?

MB, I'm going to have continuous rare earth magnets along the width (no dead spots). In doing my research, some of the racks have 5 or 6 magnets along the width (normally denoted with little dots on the face of the rack), each of which accommodates a single knife. That's great if you have nothing but big cleavers, but it makes it impossible to fit a bunch of smaller knives on there.

Rare earth magnets are stinking expensive, btw. But I think it's the right way to go.

(thanks for the pre-order, Mark!)

John

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:07 pm 

I'll be bringing over a plethora of test knives to make sure these work on Deba, cleavers, sujis, parers, etc. I like my mag strip, but I do hate the rotation.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:18 pm 

burkecutlery wrote:I'll be bringing over a plethora of test knives to make sure these work on Deba, cleavers, sujis, parers, etc. I like my mag strip, but I do hate the rotation.

Good. I've got two prototypes ready for your critique. Making a third tomorrow.

My guess is each rack will require around $20 in rare earth magnets. I was really trying to make these at a lower price point...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:19 am 

John, Lets see some pic's. Curious if you and Eamon have had a chance to collaborate?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:01 pm 

Magnets just ain't cheap anymore!

No I haven't seen them yet. I'd love to though!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:11 pm 

Here are two WIP's of one of the prototypes. I guess the best news is that it looks like a... board. No visible magnets. Wood is sanded and soaked in food grade mineral oil, like my cutting boards.

http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p55 ... 5244a3.jpg
http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p55 ... c73648.jpg

This is plain walnut. Nothing sexy or exciting with the prototype, but I think it came out pretty nice. I just got the load of lacewood, wenge, and figured makore today and that stuff is suhweeeet! I had to sell one of my children to pay for the wood. Don't worry, though. I've got two kids left, so I can buy more wood later.

I don't really know how to handle the mounting hardware... Kitchen studs are typically either 16" or 24" on center, and I'm assuming most of you guys would be screwing this into a kitchen wall (Is that correct?). I don't want to overthink this, but it seems like the position of the screws on the block would be important. If it's not a big deal, then I'll just put a countersunk screw at each end of the block and call it good. :?: Would really appreciate your thoughts on this.

Where are your knife racks hanging now? If you had a big one (22"), where would you hang it? Should I be worried about wall studs? Should I include toggle bolts or wall anchors? Does the mathematical perfection of J.S. Bach's compositions make you dizzy? Is life really too short to drink cheap beer?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

John

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:43 pm 

John, I'll give you a call next week but wall stud mounting considerations are critical. Mounting plastic rawls in sheetrock is definitely inferior to the deep wood connection you can get with a wood screw in a stud. When I pull that Moritaka Nakiri off my magnet, my other knives, especially the 300 Yani goes bow wa wa wa as it oscillates back and fourth because the wall magnet flexes so much. Hope thats clear. Its hard to explain.

Having said all this, your wall magnet is freaking beautiful. You give blocks of wood such class!

Page 1 of 3 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next