It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:04 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Kono Hh vs kanehiro ginsan vs ultimatum m390 240mm
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:09 pm 

I thought I had narrowed it down to the kono hh but the more I searched the more I found. These are 3 difft knives with 3 difft steels and profiles. Is one significant 'better' than the other? This is for an avid home cook and purely for pleasure. This is to upgrade from my tojiro dp 210. I know all will be upgrades. I can sharpen. I take care with my knives. Wash and dry. I know I want a taller knife than the tojiro. I mostly push or push/slice cut. I hate stiction so not sure which grind is better for that but know technique matters. Any thoughts about these knives?

Post subject: Re: Kono Hh vs kanehiro ginsan vs ultimatum m390 240mm
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:14 pm 

Here are links

Kanehiro

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kagigy24.html

Konosuke

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/ko24wa.html

Ultimatum

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/riulm3st.html

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:15 pm 

konosukes definely have alot of curve towards the tip so watch out for them.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:38 am 

the higher on your list, the taller the knife. but the taller and the thinner the knife, the more stiction.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:28 am 
Forum Moderator

SHOOTER <> All the knives you list are 240 so they all will inherently be taller then your 210DP. The Ultimatum is not much taller though. The Konosuke is the thinnest & of the 3 will create the most "stiction.". The Kanehiro is the tallest & of the three it fits your requisites best...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:53 pm 

Does anyone know the overall length of the kanehiro? The edge length of the kono HH is listed at 235ish but not sure what edge length means. I've seen some people measure from tip to toe overall and even tracing the curve of the knife vs not.

Also, any drawbacks to san mai? Will I need to be vigilant of the carbon edge on the kanehiro? I'm a home cook so I can stop and dry but how quickly do I need to dry to avoid 'damage'?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:52 pm 
Forum Moderator

SHOOTER <>

RE: Konosuke HH "edge length" <> Mark measures "edge length" as a straight line from heel to tip... he does not measure the edge on the curve. The Konosuke handle is 143mm. Add about another 10 for the neck, and your overall length on the Kono is right around 385-390mm.

Furthermore, Labor suggests you "watch out" for the Kono due to its belly. Your predominate style of push/pull cutting lends itself to the Konosuke Funayuki as opposed to the Gyuto... it is available in the HD line.

RE: Kanehiro <> The Kanehiro you have linked is not a carbon core... it is a stainless Ginsanko (G3, Silver3) core. Advantages of the san mai construction, actually warikomi, is the softer cladding (jigane) protects the harder core (hagane) allowing increased durability and easier sharpening. Disadvantages are they are not laser thin, not a disadvatage really - just a consideration, and the different steels can potentially fight against each other as they age causing potential warping. If it happens, it can usually be straightened by bending or hammering, no problem.

Overall Kanehiro length <> I own the 210 AOS, not the 240 G3 so I'm sorry I can't give you factual statistics, but I'm sure it is going to come in really close to that 385-390mm overall length.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:02 am 

I think I've been reading about the AOS and not the G3 steel Kanehiro and thinking the one I linked to was the one that good reviewed highly. That may change my opinion a bit about which knife now. Since the Honosuke HH steel is unknown I wonder how to compare G3/ginsanko to that. I know the m390 is the latest hot steel now.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:03 am 
Forum Moderator

XO <> The Kanehiro blacksmiths fabricate an awesome product. Because you haven't read reviews about one of their knives, newly on CKTG's menu, hopefully doesn't discount Kanehiro's G3 product in your decision making process. I own their AOS, and honestly, I'm utterly impressed w/pretty much every facet of the knife. It is because of that satisfaction, that fuels my desire to acquire one of their G3's, and this parallels a point I wanted to raise with you. Everyone has their triggers, their likes, their priorities in a knife purchase... for me, appropriate profile & ergonomics are most important. In your original post, you listed your interests, and concurrent with those requisites - the Kanehiro is your best match.

I don't understand why you go on to say, "...the Kono HH steel is unknown"
Unknown to whom? Unknown in what regard? The HH is well known & well respected. Furthermore, your cutting style lends itself to a flatter belly, and as I explained earlier, the Konosuke Funayuki profile fits said style more appropriately then their Gyuto. The Funayuki is available in their HD line, an absolutely awesome semi-stainless high speed tool steel that does not require inordinate amounts of care as you indicate concerns you.

M390 is a highly lauded new kid on the block. It also has some special sharpening requirements that should be considered. You are an "avid home cook." Im not telling you what to do with your money, but amid America's bigger is better mentality... consider the analogy: would you not buy a 911 because you have to have the Turbo S? The Kanehiro is an awesome upgrade for your needs @$200(G3)/$320(AOS)... as is the Kono @$183(HH)/$226(HDFuna)... as is the Richmond @$250. You'll be happy and derive great pleasure from anyone of them.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:22 am 

Yes the konosuke HH came in but I pulled the trigger on the kanehiro ginsan. I think the thinness of the HH made me shy away. I'm hoping the Kane will be a more versatile knife. As someone on the forum said, I went for the Kim Kardashian vs the Kate Moss. Both great.

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next