It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:49 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Opinions on Kikuichi's TKC knives
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:45 pm 

I read a post by xxxxxxxx where he mentions a rust problem in the handle of a 240mm TKC gyuto. He admits that was the only TKC he touched. Was that an isolated case? Has any one bought a TKC in the past few months? Any fit/finish issues? Happy with your knife?

The bolster was pinned as opposed to being welded (e.g. Moritaka). Who else uses welding? Glestain?

Though, Jon Broida mentioned how welding can have it's negatives too. Weakening of the steel?

Are Konosuke Wa handled knives just glued together? I know the blade is first heated up by the tang and the handle tapped onto the tang... Some one said the bolster in Kono's are pinned?

Also, are western handled knives more open to fit/finish issues in the handle area vs Wa handled knives? More parts.

Would you opt for a Wa handled version of the same knife if you had the choice?

Nakiri: Konosuke Fujiwara 180mm (W#2)

Post subject: Re: Opinions on Kikuichi's TKC knives
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:40 am 

I have owned a TKC gyuto for over a year now and I still marvel at the performance. The f&f is flawless also. It has seen daily restaurant use and all I have done is steel it. It just does not need sharpening, its a freak of nature! I drop a tomato from about seven inches away and it still splits it right in two, just like the first day. I cannot recommend TKC enough. I have had friends and coworkers go on about their ken onion knives, but when I let them try my TKC only then do they know the truth.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:17 am 

So maybe the rust found on that one sample was a fluke. :) I had heard nothing but good things about Kikuichi knives. Was surprised to read about xxxxxxxxx finding. But again. He admits he had only done one TKC. I suppose in any production run there's always a few with the odd problem. So maybe I'll put a 240mm TKC back on my short list.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:27 am 

ive been considering picking up a kikuichi tkc as well. im curious if the edge length is accurate on the 240mm or if they run or small. is the tkc a tad thicker than konosukes gyutos at the spine or are they about the same? mark has a sweet looking matt stephens custom tkc in stock at the moment also!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:24 am 

Labor of love wrote:ive been considering picking up a kikuichi tkc as well. im curious if the edge length is accurate on the 240mm or if they run or small. is the tkc a tad thicker than konosukes gyutos at the spine or are they about the same? mark has a sweet looking matt stephens custom tkc in stock at the moment also!

Thickness? The TKC is comparable to the Kono HD/HH. Kono Fuji are 2.88..so just a hair thicker.

Though, as attractive as it might sound to have a thin agile knife, you have to consider your cutting style. If you chop...thin is not good. If you push-cut/slice...yes. I don't chop with my chef's/gyuto's.

I like the MS custom TKC too. Not a bad deal for $300.00. Considering this one also. Do I forego the custom handle and save myself $110?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:11 pm 

konosuke 240mm are usually around 232mm. are kikuichi tkcs the same are are they a "real" 240mm. does the tkc feel like a feather in your hand the way a kono does?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:48 pm 
Site Admin

I never had a complaint about the TKC rusting but consider the source. I'm sure I would have heard about it if there was a problem. We've been selling them for several years.

The edge is pretty close to 240mm. We're about to run out of the 240s and I have more on order but they take a loong time to get. I'm guessing they'll arrive in early November.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]