It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:02 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Saya Time!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:03 pm 
Forum Moderator

Well after getting a few saya and seeing a couple other people make them, I figured Why Not??

Did these 2 earlier in the week:
First two: 210mm on the top in Cherry/Padauk spacer, bottom is for a 240 gyuto in Bolivian Rosewood and Padauk spacer. The 240 was my first and I goofed up the part where the bolster inserts into the saya and made it too far back, so on the 240, the bolster doesn't go into the saya like it should. But it does fit a 210 correctly!

Saya only:

Spacer view:

What I did today! 240mm gyuto with Bocote and Bloodwood spacer, 210mm gyuto with Lacewood and Bloodwood spacer, and a small 150mm petty with Bloodwood and Padauk spacer. I actually used the left over pieces that I cut out of the spacer layer for this one. The Bloodwood looks kinda cool I think! I finished these to only 400 grit and then Tru Oil and Tung Oil finish on them.

I did the 240 and 210mm a bit larger overall than usual so I could use them on a variety of knives. I had gotten some saya's for 210mm gyuto's and most of my gyuto's were just a tad tall to fit into them. Same with the 240; this one will fit my Kikuichi 240mm carbon elite, Artifex 240 and my Tanaka Sekiso 240mm (but it doesn't go in far enough to use a pin.

Just the Saya:

Spacer:

I ordered up a few pieces of 5" wide Curly Maple and 3" wide Bolivian Rosewood (that's my favorite so far!), as well as Bass Wood for the spacers. But for now, I am out of wood again for sayas :(

Post subject: Re: Saya Time!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:44 am 

looks awesome,great work!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:02 am 
Forum Moderator

TIM <> I agree. Really nice stuff, as always. I particularly like them as I think they will contrast ho handles strikingly.

I'm a total sucker for Rosewood, too.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:33 am 

the spacers are really nice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:04 am 
Forum Moderator

Thanks guys! I ordered up some basswood to use as the spacers in the next batch to save the edges of the knives a bit. Should be here on Friday!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:06 pm 
Forum Moderator

Bolivian Rosewood with Bass Wood spacer for a 210mm Takeda. Never appreciated how wide these blades are until I got the tracing. Barely had enough room to get it on a 3" wide piece of wood!!

Gonna do some Curly Maple and some Bolivian Rosewood for some 210mm and 240mm Artifex next, too :)

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]