It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:29 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Knives for Lefties
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:11 pm 

i really want the tojiro ITK bread knife but i think it's gonna be too expensive? to get one that's made for lefties.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:30 pm 
Site Admin

They don't offer the ITK with a left handed grind on the serrations. The Mac has a different and more equal serration grind if you're interested. Most lefties don't find the serrations on the right a problem.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:34 am 

aww too bad. guess it'll be a mac for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:12 pm 
Forum Moderator

Well, OK I'll open up the kimono a bit more about this mystery - it is a man not a woman who does this work :)

I wish I could tell you more about the maker and the steel, but honestly, I have not been given the information either. Believe me, this is a challenge for me too, but I understand their reasoning. He desires privacy in the matter lest his competitors use the same steel or worse yet, either go around him or put him in a position where he winds up cranking out knives for 'them'. He is just protecting his position.

There was a pretty extensive review done of a Nubatama yanagi. There is an upcoming long term review of a 240 ryoba or gyuto from a customer who has had one for a period of time. I've also used a few of them extensively. Edge retention is exceptional. Ease of sharpening is also exceptional, but rarely needed. I've been able to retain my edge for home use for over a year with only stropping on compounds. The double bevel knives are clad and the core reacts like a carbon steel, developing a patina. A number of chefs in Kyoto have switched over from their Aritsugu knives to Nubatamas and are quite pleased with it's performance. The final finishing is done by a sword polisher - and before anyone asks, he too won't say which natural stones he uses. Yes there is a pattern here. Their perspective is that the knives' performance is what will sell the knife and the steel is the concern of the knifemaker not the customer. I KNOW that we steel junkies don't agree with this at all and 'Inquiring minds want to know'.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:27 pm 
Forum Moderator

These two videos demonstrate the 'factory' edge or more precisely the sword polisher's edge cutting a plate of sushi using a 230 mm Nubatama black steel yanagii. The cutting is in one video and the plating in another. The china (not Japanese but a plate I have from my grandmother, was selected so that you can see the detail through the slices of fish. Actually the edge was used for two weeks by a reviewer in a pro kitchen environment prior to this video and was never retouched from the original edge.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:52 pm 

well finally decided on getting a richmond artifex 240mm, 52100 addict 240mm, kikuichi performance tkc 270mm....

won't be able to afford to get them all at the same time but i will get them all eventually.

took a while to save up for one or two plus the knife bag and stones. lol.

thanks to everyone.

Page 2 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2