It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:18 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Question on a Murry Carter Kitchen Knife
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:37 pm 

I wondered if anyone has anyone has had any experience with Murry Carter’s Kitchen Cutlery. Specifically his Kuro-uchi Series (KU), Traditional rural Japanese cutlery. Features Hitachi high carbon steel forge welded between two layers of Gokunan-tetsu.

http://www.cartercutlery.com/japanese-knives/kitchen-cutlery/kuro-uchi-series/78-sun-kuro-uchi-sujihiki-polished

Or if someone knows of a similar type/quality knife around this price break.

Thanks for your help.

Post subject: Re: Question on a Murry Carter Kitchen Knife
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:00 pm 
Forum Moderator

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tayadoedas24.html

Its called a yanagiba, but I believe it is double ground like a suji.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:21 pm 
Forum Moderator

COWBOY <> Be aware the recommended Takeda is a reactive blade (Hitachi Blue Super). Whereas the Carter is a laminated blade; meaning the cutting edge, though reactive (Hitachi white #1), is covered with a soft stainless clad. With the Carter, you won't experince the food reactivity nor oxidation you would on the Takeda...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:47 pm 

Carter makes a good knife.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:45 pm 

I had a 7.6 sun kuro-uchi sujihiki by Murray Carter and it was one of my best loved knives. I let a friend of mine borrow it and he liked it so much he convinced me to sell it to him, much to my regret. It takes an edge like nobody's business and you can't find a better performing knife.

In my opinion, the Takeda mentioned isn't even in the same class as the Carter.

Mine was rehandled by Isaiah Schroeder, and I suggest that you may want to do the same.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:45 am 
Forum Moderator

With the Takeda, yes, the exposed core AS is reactive as well as the blade road, but the Kurouchi finish on the remainder of the knife shouldn't patina/react much? Also, the MC has a carbon core, which will react just like the core of the Takeda will where the core is exposed along the edge; the stainless doesn't go down to the edge. As for food reactivity, it will depend on your use. I have a stainless clad, AS core gyuto and the core turned a beautiful Blue/Purple and has stayed that way for almost 2 months, and I have not noticed any problems with food cut with it. My nakiri's and main gyuto are carbon or kurouchi knives and once a patina sets in, they don't react to food very much unless I just finished redoing a blade road or something and the old patina isn't there anymore. Onions don't get discolored either anymore; the first time using it, they turned slightly brown, but since the patina has come in nicely, it doesn't discolor stuff. Aogami Super IIRC is a bit more resistant to patina/discoloring than the SK series, or White or Blue steel. Also, most people use a Suji to slice proteins, which generally leave a blue/purple patina, but aren't acidic like onions or tomatoes, so the reactivity can be easily limited by letting a patina form (or forcing the patina) and slicing mostly proteins or less reactive/acidic foods, which is what most people use a Suji for anyway.

I put the link up to the Takeda as it was a similar knife in a similar price range, I haven't handled a Takeda, so I don't know about the quality, but they generally get good reviews and people say they are thin and sharp. It's also one of the few Carbon core, Kurouchi finished Suji's on the CKTG site. Maybe look at a Konosuku Suji in 240 or 270, or if the reactivity is that much of a concern, go with a stainless Suji instead.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]