It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:51 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Konosuke HD2 Kiritsuke/Gyuto 270mm
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:44 pm 

15 per side?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:52 pm 

Yes, 30 degrees inclusive. I'm not the nutcase with the youtube campaign against CKTG...

15 per side, it is very much shaving sharp. I rarely sharpen anything steeper than 30 degrees inclusive. Occasionally if a customer says they just want something insanely sharp I'll do it, with reservations, and warnings. On personal knives I stick to 30 for gyuto, petties and nakiri, and 34 for my honesuki. Most customer knives end up at 36 degrees inclusive, most people have whustof or henckels, and they just end up rolling the edge, I sharpen shuns at 32.

Making some bread tonight, roast tomato and basil rolls, and garlic chive rolls. Little more chopping work for it tonight. Farmers market tomorrow, headed to the fantastic Wisconsin State Fair tomorrow afternoon.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:53 pm 

Ah the Wisconsin state fair.
What a great fair it is. Along with Summer Fest, two great reasons to spend time in Milwaukee.
We used to own the merchandising rights to all the motor races at the Fairground so I know the place intimately as we would work there for a week three times each year.
Always enjoyed it. Great people, great food.
Have a good time Doug :D
wish I could be there.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:46 pm 

JD- How do you find the the knife to perform on hard/dense tall ingredients like large sweet potatoes, squash, etc.? Does the thinner, less convexed blade wedge on you? Also, do wet ingredients stick more? or do you just switch over to your AS Laser for those types of ingredients?

Glad you are LOVING the knife!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:50 pm 

I could definitely see myself owning one of these in the future. Interested to see more from you on how it performs.

Got bacon?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:48 pm 

btm wrote:JD- How do you find the the knife to perform on hard/dense tall ingredients like large sweet potatoes, squash, etc.? Does the thinner, less convexed blade wedge on you? Also, do wet ingredients stick more? or do you just switch over to your AS Laser for those types of ingredients?

Glad you are LOVING the knife!

The grind on the kono is very good. It has plenty of convex. I cut pineapple and butternut squash with it, and it was fine. My AS laser hasn't gotten much use in the last few days. I'll be doing a bunch of potatoes tonight at home, so we'll see how nonstick the knife is. It is much better for chopping than my laser is, no accordions, ever. I truly can use it to do everything. It is flat enough for slicing meat and fish, and the blade height is low enough for portioning meat.

I will have some hero marathon sessions with it coming up soon, and I have very high expectations for this knife. I really can't wait to get a longer and heavier handle on it, it is substantially blade heavy.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:06 pm 

Finished Saya. I left the other side plain, I'd like to do a snow covered tree on that side at some point, when time permits.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:33 pm 

Just a quick update on this knife.

1.) It is officially the best knife I have ever used (with one caveat to come next). That is saying something fairly substantial, and I am including other knives for other specific tasks, like camp knives, pocket knives, and hunting knives. This knife is a food machine, and it is very much at home doing any task. It is very much at home with raw and cooked protein, any kind of veg, detail work, and even mincing garlic and shallots. It is 262mm long, and that is a big knife, but it is SO LIGHT, that it feels like you're holding on to nothing.

2.) As it was received from CKTG it is WAAAAAY too blade heavy. It is unwieldy without moving two fingers onto the blade for a pinch grip. I don't know if they were just out of bigger handles or what, but if you are going to order this knife, just order the blade and spend the coin to have a bigger handle installed. I received what I believe to be a "medium" handle, and it is substantially shorter and smaller in diameter than the handle that came on my 240mm Richmond Laser. So, much bigger blade + much smaller handle = a blade heavy mess. I have adjusted to it, and I can use the knife very well, but I will be much happier once I get a more appropriately weighted handle on it. For the time being I am cutting a steel end cap that I am going to epoxy onto the end of the handle to move the weight back, and that will satiate me until I get the Shop Smith I found for a screaming deal up and running fully.

3.) HD steel is astonishingly good. It is not as wear resistant as AS, but it sharpens just as easily as carbon. I do wish it were more reactive though.

4.) I see why Konosuke gets such props from people here. The knife is very, very good. The blade profile is in my opinion absolutely perfect. The Kiritsuke shape is very versatile, and I really like it. This is an A+ knife, at a price that is high, but not face meltingly high. I know that this knife will give me a very long service life, and once I rehandle it and get the balance right, it will be Ideal for me.

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2