It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:20 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Believe It Or Not - Shapton Glass
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:13 am 
Forum Moderator

Ok, as you all know I am a staunch EP supporter & user.

I use the Pro model with some mods I devised to smooth the sharpening process.

Stones......mmmmmm......I think I have virtually tried them all.....from the stock / Chosera / Shapton Pro / Jnats / Sigma Power Select II / Sigma Ceramic......and then along came the Shapton Glass EP mounted range.

Being a sport to travel new roads & experiment to achieve that ultimate edge (by the way which never happens), my eyes popped & I took the plunge and bought the following set....

1k/2k/4k/8k/16k/30k

Some Pics:

Now all my low end grinding is done by atomas, so stone usage starts at 1k.

Steel.....my thinking was to challenge M390 as this to date has been the most stubborn to succumb....

So I popped on the 1k, set the angle cube and concentrated.

I did 1 pass and turned the stone - seriously plenty swarf from just 1 pass - checked under the veho @ 400x and wow - this stone is aggressive!

My progression consisted of 4 scrubbing passes per blade side per stone through 1k/2k/4k/8k, with 6 scrubbing passes with the 16k & 30k stones respectively.

Well:
1k - fast cutter, very fast, plenty swarf, hazy finish, good feedback, no clogging - impressive
2k - fast cutter, plenty swarf, bevel quite shiny with light strokes, good feedback, no clogging - impressive
4k - also fast for a 4k, reasonable swarf, very shiny bevel, good feedback, no clogging - impressive
8k - this is where it seems the tide turns - still fast for a 8k, less swarf, creamy feel, good feedback, mirror finish, still no clogging - impressive
16k - little swarf, fast cutter for a 16k, good feedback, smooth creamy feel, no clogging - impressive
30k - same as 16k, just very, very smooth, creamy & excellent feedback - impressive

My verdict:

The Glass stones impressed, all of them.
The feedback is really good, I would say on par with the Choseras, but with a more "direction/precision" feeling to it, and so much better than the Shapton Pros.
Clogging/loading of the stones are non existent and up at the 16k & 30k level, the Shapton Pros fall out of the bus.
I sharpened 2 x knives and lapped the stones in between sessions - dishing was virtually non existent and lapping on the 3x8 Atoma plates were indicative that these Shapton Glass stones would serious last uber years. ( I lapped the 1k/2k/4k on the 140 Atoma and the 8k/16k/30k on the 1200 Atoma).

Final Thoughts:

I still love my Choseras & Sigma Power Select II, but for now they will be retired to the far back, out of reach spot in the sharpening cabinet, next to the Shapton Pros.

My Shapton Glass stones will with immediate effect reside in the top main accessory drawer - ready to do all the duty from here onwards.

Sooooooo, those EP user out there still sitting on the fence for aftermarket stones - get these Shapton Glass stones on your shopping list pronto - you will at this stage not find any better product out there!

Thx for taking the time to read.

:)

Post subject: Re: Believe It Or Not - Shapton Glass
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:32 am 
Forum Moderator

Just a quick update.

Sharpened another 3 knives: Konosuke HH 150mm Petty / Aritsugu A-Type Gyuto & Konosuke ZDP-189 Gyuto.

....and.....

The more I use these Shapton Glass stones, the more they impress me!
They just work - be it heavy, medium, light or ultra light pressure strokes.
They make short work of any steel type.
The 16k & 30k finish is superb.

I like the fact that it is all white - one can clearly see by the amount of black swarf how quickly the metal is being removed.
Their feedback is also brilliant through the range with really creamy comfort.

The only con is they should come in 10mm thick........sigh.........

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:49 am 
Forum Moderator

Just buy more of them Rookie :D

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:39 pm 

I don't sharpen with a guided device, which is for girly men, but I have the entire line of Shapton Glass stones, and I agree that they are fantastic stones, especially for the harder stainless steels. I disagree with your assessment of the 16K and 30k Shapton Pro stones, especially when it comes carbon steel. But then again, I am sharpening free hand and not using a guided device.

“If one really wants to be master of an art, technical knowledge of it is not enough. One has to transcend technique so that the art becomes an ‘artless art’ growing out of the Unconscious.” Eugen Herrigel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:45 pm 
Forum Moderator

WickedSharp wrote:I don't sharpen with a guided device, which is for girly men, but I have the entire line of Shapton Glass stones, and I agree that they are fantastic stones, especially for the harder stainless steels. I disagree with your assessment of the 16K and 30k Shapton Pro stones, especially when it comes carbon steel. But then again, I am sharpening free hand and not using a guided device.

Oh my darling, don't forget that us "girly men" have a touch that only we can please with - having the inner being of female zen to bond with our inner fetish with the hard stone......

So my sweetheart be rough now, we can handle it & come back for more....tell me, do you have broad shoulders....?????

Lots of love

Ms MadRookieline...

xxxxxxxxx

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PS: You have a 16k Shapton Pro Stone???....wow I have never had one, never heard of one and never assessed or gave my opinion on one......never sell it - it surely must be unique....!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:03 pm 
Forum Moderator

Rookie, AFAIK, there IS a 16k Pro stone, but it was only made for the Japanese market since there were cracking issues when shipping them to other continents.

I also think there was a 16k in the old Rhino range, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:10 pm 
Forum Moderator

...todays world - I never assessed one..

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:50 pm 

:lol: OK Rookie, I'll have to take it just because you snagged an M390 Ultimatum out from underneath me.... Yes, I have a 16K Shapton Pro, along with the full line of Shapton Pros. I do love the Shapton Glass stones, and I'm sure girly men would too. :lol:

“If one really wants to be master of an art, technical knowledge of it is not enough. One has to transcend technique so that the art becomes an ‘artless art’ growing out of the Unconscious.” Eugen Herrigel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:05 am 
Forum Moderator

All good WickedSharp :)

Some jest is always a fun way to lighten up.

Stay cool.

:D :) :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:08 am 

I didn'tt want the grapes anyway, said the fox. ;)

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next