It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:09 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Kurosaki Megumi 240mm Gyuto
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:45 am 

This review covers the Kurosaki Megumi 240mm gyuto included in the platinum member pass around. The product page can be seen here: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kumegy24.html

Once again, thanks to Mark for making these knives available to the forum for review.

Disclaimer: this review is based on a single meal prep for a home user so please take this with a grain of salt. Since the itinerary for this pass around gives me five days with five knives I hope to dedicate one night to each knife. Accordingly edge retention and edge taking is outside the scope of this review.

Steve has been trumpeting the Kurosaki Megumi as the stainless alternative to the Anryu Hammered line of knives and I fully agree with that characterization. Since the Anryu is one of my favorite knives it follows that the Kurosaki would be a lot of fun too...it was :)

Performance wise the Kurosaki is a high performing middle weight gyuto. The grind performs extremely well. Food separates well with minimal wedging or sticking. Balance in hand is very good though the balance point in this sample is further forward than my Anryu giving the knife a slightly heavier feel despite being the lighter of the two.

Since I am not sharpening these knives I cannot attest to the edge that these are capable of taking, but the edge that came on the knife while good, was the least impressive of the four knives I have sampled from the pass around to this point. Since grind is every bit as important to a knife's performance as the keenness of the edge, this was only an academic observation. Practical performance remained very good.

Aesthetically the Kurosaki is very attractive with a very high level of fit and finish. The cladding is hammered damascus. The damascus layers are only exposed by the grind so the hammering is at the top of the blade, the damascus on the "blade road", and the core steel at the edge. While each individual component is very attractive, and the knife on the whole is nice looking, to my eye the affect was a bit on the busy side.

The profile is very similar to the Anryu. The two knives have virtually identical spine profiles while the edge of the Kurosaki has a subtly rounder belly. The heel of the knife has an exaggerated curvature that wraps under the machi. The sharpened heel looks aggressive alleviating the age old perception of the kitchen being an emasculating place.

Overall the Kurosaki is a very good knife. For my personal preferences, I think this is the pass around knife I would be most inclined to buy for myself. That said, given the choice I would prefer the Anryu over the Kutasaki. The Anryu has a bit more subtle and tasteful aesthetic, IMHO, and I am more inclined to trust the edge taking and holding of Blue #2 over VG10. But if you need a satinless Anryu, or if you are just tired of waiting for the Anryu to come into stock...

Kurosaki and Anryu, Kurosaki is on top:

Finish on the Kurosaki and Anryu, Kurosaki is on top:

Choil shots of the Kurosaki and Anryu, Kurosaki is on the left:

I don't plan to use this knife again but I think I may do an additional entry on it later in the week. This knife begs comparison with a few other knives...we'll see if I have time. ;)

Post subject: Re: Kurosaki Megumi 240mm Gyuto
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:05 am 

That Kurosaki looks sweet i like the hammered Damascus finish on it very sharp, thank you for this detailed review ceder. I enjoy reading you revies

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:07 am 

Thanks for the complement. These are fun to do.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:42 am 

Nice review. It is great to see the Kurosaki next to the Anryu as a known reference point. It appears that the cladding comes pretty near to the edge about an inch from the heel. Are my eyes deceiving me?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:27 am 

No, your eyes are not deceiving you. I noticed that too. It looks fine from the other side, but I am curious if this becomes a problem with time.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:27 am 

Yet again, great review and really glad you were able to participate in the pass around as you've stacked relatively new knives against knives with which many are familiar with here in a capacity that most others wouldn't, or couldn't do.
I've said it a ton, but will keep hammering away at it: My experience with Kurosaki is that he makes one of the best all-around performers out there if you like a lighter-middleweight knife and a flat edge profile. I've said how dumb I was for letting go of the Shimo in 220mm in the past, but it really eats at me every time I see a review of Kurosaki's knives. The only way I'm going to get over it is to grab another.
On a somewhat related note, as Anryu also produces knives for Masakage, and many similarities have been noted between the two smiths by a fair number of users, one has to wonder what sort of direct or indirect influence Anryu has had on Kurosaki. Mark, def. make a point of bringing that up between emptying 1911 clips and polishing off Bourbon when they come to visit ;)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:55 am 

cedarhouse wrote:No, your eyes are not deceiving you. I noticed that too. It looks fine from the other side, but I am curious if this becomes a problem with time.

Does it look like it is under-ground there? Or does the grind look even? The two most likely possibilities seem to be a grind issue which might be easily fixed or that somehow the core steel is just a lot thinner there, which might be more problematic.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:45 am 

estayton wrote:
cedarhouse wrote:No, your eyes are not deceiving you. I noticed that too. It looks fine from the other side, but I am curious if this becomes a problem with time.

Does it look like it is under-ground there? Or does the grind look even? The two most likely possibilities seem to be a grind issue which might be easily fixed or that somehow the core steel is just a lot thinner there, which might be more problematic.

When I had the knife it looked like a slight under-grind and just needed a little thinning there. There is enough of the core exposed there right know that it didn't affect performance. A little thinning as it's sharpened and I think it will be fine.

And Cedar - Your reviews rock! I knew I should have put a little more effort into it. I just knew mine was better than Adam's. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:51 am 

That is some sexy cladding, if only it wrapped around R2... :x

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:59 pm 

Chip, I hadn't put it together that it was the same guy. Interesting. Your praise of the Shimo has given me an itch...

estayton, I looked again last night and I couldn't see or feel a grind issue but I was a few drinks in... ;)

Jeff, really appreciate it. Adam did set a low bar :D. I have had an itch to do a few of these write ups for a while. I guess I figured it was time. Besides, Guarin's videos still make all of us look like slouches :mrgreen:

Guarin, agreed. I don't like to hate on VG10 but until someone spends some time putting awesome edges on this thing...there are other steels I would rather see.

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next