It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:18 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Anryu Nakiri
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:52 pm 

After a long day at work and scrubbing pots and pans I have ordered my 3rd knife from CKTG...an Anryu Nakiri! This follows the Antru Santoku and a 240mm Sakai Takayuki Wa-Gyuto. It is a slowly expanding line up and a way for me to enjoy pure cutting pleasure after a days work! I can't really say I needed it but it will give me and my family years of pleasure. I'll post a few pics once I have received the knife...would you believe I use a cheap Nakiri to slice the Brisket we serve in my US style BBQ restaurant in Australia? It works great...thin and good for transferring to the plate :)

Post subject: Re: Anryu Nakiri
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:40 am 

Here they are..sorry for the pic quality. I would add that the tip on the gyuto is like a razor through small stuff

Attachments:
P1100075.jpg [41.3 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:02 am 

nice set you have going. which do you prefer using between the nakiri and santoku?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:21 am 

I dig the flatness and height of the nakiri for push cuts and the Santoku feels as it is smaller and more and slightly scalpel like.

Both good. The nakiri feels like it is a very specific tool (i.e limited uses) and as such it's perhaps a bit more enjoyable to use right now

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:21 pm 

good info thanks

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:17 pm 

Matt, You have a collection close to what I have in mind. I already have the santuko,
(and a small petty/paring by Anyru). What comes to mind, and perhaps for others,
is that the gyuto, such as the one you have...nice!, could do the same work as the nakiri.

Practical issues are just one part of the issue for j.knives. Plain pleasure is the other.
Still, I am curious as to your thoughts on overlap, and just how specialized you find
the nakiri...if you care to expand. Needless to say, I like the maker, Anyru.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:02 pm 

I think that the gyuto does very well what the other two do but who just wants one knife? I was using the Nakiri the other day and decided to do exactly the same push cuts with the gyuto..it cut just as well.

Using the nakiri has a different feel, and given the tallish blade height, allows you to be a bit more casual with longer stroke push cuts and hence helps you avoid the edge with delicate finger tips.

The nakiri can, of course, be use to rock chop and is good at it if the ingredients are small.

I was cutting up a broccoli head the other day and found the rounded tip of the nakiri nice for pushing through the floret stalks....

Hope this helps

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]