It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:09 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: AS laser initial impressions
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:49 am 

I have the AS laser with the wenge handle, and maple ferrule, and I have the Konosuke with a maple handle and wenge ferrule. The wenge as the handle with maple ferrule looks MUCH better in my opinion. When I rehandle the kono it will most likely be a black carbon fiber handle, a white ferrule (hopefully white carbon fiber) with a bronze cap to bring the balance point back toward the handle, until then I am seriously considering drilling into the maple and putting in several pieces of round steel stock to move the balance point. The handle that came on the knife is way too small, and way too short though, so rehandling might come sooner than later... Kinda wish I would have just ordered the blade, and sent it out for a handle right away.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:15 am 

Yeah, the small/medium handles on the site (one of which was probably applied to your Kono before it was posted for sale) I find to be too thin and too short. Reason why when I ordered a W#1 in 240, I requested a large handle despite the fact it wasn't in the materials I wanted. To be honest, the handle is still a bit too narrow for my liking, but it is balanced perfectly to my taste and any thicker and it would have been too handle heavy.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:08 am 

ChipB wrote:Yeah, the small/medium handles on the site (one of which was probably applied to your Kono before it was posted for sale) I find to be too thin and too short. Reason why when I ordered a W#1 in 240, I requested a large handle despite the fact it wasn't in the materials I wanted. To be honest, the handle is still a bit too narrow for my liking, but it is balanced perfectly to my taste and any thicker and it would have been too handle heavy.

Yup. It only begs the question... Why a small/medium handle on a 270mm gyuto? Granted the blade is as light as some 210's, but that weight is distributed over a lot of real estate. The balance point is a solid inch and a half to two inches ahead of a pinch grip, which makes the knife feel less agile. I will rehandle it eventually, but for now I am definitely going to add some counterweight to the handle.

Page 2 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2