It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:33 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Kajiwara 120mm damascus petty
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:30 pm 

I think the Kajiwara damascus line is actually quite a bit better than it gets rated generally. They are pretty robust, but I keep going back and forth between my Kajiwara and Goko W#1 gyutos and each time I pick one up I feel like it is better than the other at first. On average though I am still preferring the Kajiwara, and so that funayuki is looking better and better, though I'm not sure I want to double up on any one line or maker while there are still so many to try.

I've forced the patina on mine multiple times using mustard (left it on about 8-10 minutes per side), and I find it generally reduces the reactivity to manageable levels. It did have a run-in with some rust due to someone else using it and not being careful, but I think it has stabilized again.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:59 am 

Alright, so I've used the knife for more than a month, and I've used it extensively at home and in pro kitchen.

I believe the damascus cladding to also be blue #2 steel, as the knife seems to patina evenly across it's blade. It is not particularly reactive, and you almost have to try to make it rust at all. My biggest tip with this knife is to put a steeper edge on it. The blade is thick, and the steel can take a nice edge, so put one on there. It makes a huge difference. The grind is a complex grind and the knife can steer a bit if you don't watch yourself, but I love this knife for hardcore detail work, and mincing garlic especially. You can fly with it. I prefer my tanaka 150 for detail work, but this little guy is a bruiser and a really great idea as a non intimidating everyday knife as a gift for someone. In fact, it's perfect for that.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:09 am 

Interesting observations on the cladding. I have not had that experience with my gyuto. One of the two steels in the cladding I find reacts just like the core steel, but the other one patinas eagerly and is susceptible to rust, though not nearly to Tojiro ITK levels by any means. Not sure why this would differ, but they may not be as reactive as I perceive, or mine may be more reactive than usual. But I'm with you on the edge angle. Thanks for the additional update! I'm glad you are enjoying the petty.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:25 am 

As I write the new copy for the kurouchi Kajiwara line, I just realised that my knife is more interesting than I thought. It more closely resembles the kurouchi Ko Bōchō than it does the petty. Kind of cool! The knife is still one of my favorite to use, but it's height has perplexed me since I got it, and now I am seeing why. It's dimensions are, as near as makes no difference, exactly the same size as the kurouchi knife. That just makes it even more special, especially if the smith accidentally made it, and shipped it unintentionally. Very cool.

Page 2 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2