It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:48 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Stones to get for my woodworking tools.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:44 pm 

Sometimes the obvious eludes me. I was thinking about some nice Iroko bases for storage amd use. Iroko is a very water resistant wood used in marine environment and boat building. It is really beautiful too. Of course the magic marker would still be a good idea as they wouldnt be permenantly attatched to the base/box.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:23 pm 

bilbro wrote:Sometimes the obvious eludes me.........

I feel your pain.......

We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........

Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:04 pm 

Not trying to muddy the waters and cost Mark business but I use 1/4" plate glass 6"x15" lond and Klingspor adhesive-back wet/dry rolls. The have grits up to 2000 I know of. I use a jug to do my plane irons and chisels. I ahve irons 3-3/8" wide and a couple of 2" chisels. The width of the glass gives me a lot of surface. When it's used,I just scrape it off with a razor-blade knife and replace it. 2000 grit will give you a finish you can see youself in.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:12 am 

Thanks for the replies guys. I ended up buying the 1200 bester for my coarsest stone. The way I HAD been sharpening was freehand and will most likely continue to do so. I actually love the sharpening process. I e njoy it. As mentioned,I habe quite the motley crew of a collection of sharpening equipment. Sandpaper and glass, a few diamond nstones, some oil stones and a few strops. I have never used waterstones though. So,my next questions. To refresh everyone,I bought the naniwa snow white,a suhiro rika 5000 and a bester 1200. What should I do to each of these stones both in preperation to useing them and during use? Based on anyones personal experience do any of these need to be flattened prior to use? What type of nagura/slurry stone do you use and on which stone? I have also ordered the 140 siamond plate and some of the small diamond slurry stones from our host.

Page 2 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2