It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:42 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hinoura Tamashii 240mm - Platinum Pass Around
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:12 am 

First of all, THANK YOU MARK! I am extremely grateful for the opportunity to sample all these extraordinary knives.

Second of all, this review is based on a single meal prep for a home user so please take this with a grain of salt. Since the itinerary for this pass around gives me five days with five knives I hope to dedicate one night to each knife. Accordingly edge retention is outside the scope of this review and I do not plan to sharpen the knives.

As I have been asked for feedback on this knife I have decided to start with the Hinoura Tamashii 240mm gyuto: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/hita24gy.html. The knife is a middle weight, kurouchi knife with a White #2 core steel.

Overall the knife is a very good, quality knife that preforms very well.

To begin with I inspected the knife for FnF. Handle quality is good and the aesthetic is classic. The KU is a medium textured matte finish that is very evenly applied. The "blade road" between the KU finish and core steel has a very attractive frosted finish. The core steel arrived with a mirror polish that took on a colorful patina with use. The befuddling thing about the FnF is there is a pronounced grind marks in the side of the blade and some Nashiji type pitting. Generally that does not bother me at all but the overall affect of that plus the relatively high quality FnF is a knife that is North of rustic but South of Refined. I suppose I can appreciate either but both at the same time...don't know what I think

The initial inspection showed the knife to be reasonably heavy (full disclaimer: I have been using Konos and a Takamura almost exclusively for about a month, it is only 6.1oz) with a grind which does not become thin until ~1m from the edge. The relative weight of the knife coupled with the thickness until lower in the blade suggested the knife may be prone to wedging...but I was wrong. In use the knife was no feather weight and I could feel the knife in product but it was no wedge monster. The grind behaved like a good convex knife and created separation rather than wedging.

The profile reminded me a bit of the Sukenari Ginsan that I tested in a previous pass around in that both the Sukenari the Hinoura Tamashii seem to me a bit of a pseudo-KS clone. It is taller than my Ikeda (a KS clone), 49mm vs 46mm. It is shorter than my Ikeda, 237mm vs 250mm. But the spines of the knives shadow each other very closely. The Hinoura Tamashii has considerable more belly in order to make up for the increased height the edge has to cover over a shorter distance, but it retains a fairly sharp and delicate tip. Like the FnF issue, there was some cognitive dissonance here, I am selling my Ikeda because it is not my cup of tea, and the Hinoura Tamashii is like it...but not.

The upshot is the knife is probably not for me, but it is a well made knife and if the right recommendation request came along I could see this meeting somebody's druthers.

Overview of the knife, the streaks are from me wiping the blade down before the picture:

Choil shot:

Hinoura Tamashii overlaying the Ikeda spine comparison, you can see the grind mark well here:

Hinoura Tamashii and Ikeda side by side:

Post subject: Re: Hinoura Tamashii 240mm - Platinum Pass Around
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:00 am 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I'm happy to excuse opinions based on but one night's prep given the circumstances. :lol: The grind does look thicker than I expected, but I'm glad to hear it performs well. Nice comparisons to the Ikeda as well. I imagine the effect of the finish may be different in person: from your photographs the pitting and grind marks don't bother me one bit, but pictures often fail to convey the full effect of such small details.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:12 am 

"I'm happy to excuse opinions based on but one night's prep given the circumstances."

I feel a bit foolish doing this, but I will only have time for own shot...gotta make the best of it. Thanks for your understanding ;)

"I imagine the effect of the finish may be different in person: from your photographs the pitting and grind marks don't bother me one bit, but pictures often fail to convey the full effect of such small details."

Like I said it isn't bad...just a bit confusing. I really don't know what I think. Like a scar on a super model.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:28 am 

Did you experience any drag from the finish? It seemed I did but I was using another knife at the same time to compare cutting performance. Very good thoughts Ryan given the limited use.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:08 am 

The passaround on this knife may have saved me a few hundred bucks. The reviews have all been relatively consistent in tone. While it does not necessarily define a knife, my experience with Kurouchi finish was bit off putting. As Jeff suggests, I noticed significant drag. It also appears that KU is a hallmark of sorts for Hinoura across his lines.
Good stuff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:29 am 

Can't say I noticed a lot of drag from the finish, but I was not working with a lot of tall ingredients. I do have a strong preference though for KU finishes that are smooth like the finish on my Tanaka KU.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]