It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:25 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sharpening tips wanted to get knives shaving sharp
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:45 pm 
Site Admin

Hey mark,

I recently exchanged a knife for the Richmond ultimatum and had a couple questions. I have seen many videos of people displaying the sharpness of their ultimatum and had become envious. I have tried sharpening it myself and have even gone to a professional and I really have not gotten the results I have wanted. Have you had similar problems with yours? The videos on your site make it seem like they are using a different blade. Please respond with any tips or info you have.

Thank you,
Dan

Richmond Laser

Post subject: Re: Sharpening tips wanted to get knives shaving sharp
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:46 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Dan,

You can get that knife extremely sharp. I can shave with mine easily after I sharpen it. The two guys who will LOVE to hear that you're jealous of their sharpening abilities are Shaun Fernandez and Aaron Gibson. They also both have excellent knife skills which is why I ask them to do videos for me on occasion. Perhaps if we post this on my forum they can walk you through their sharpening routine.

Also, Shaun does finish sharpening on most of my Ultimatums. If you want to send it to him he'll do a nice job sharpening the knife for you.

Finally, let me know your sharpening routine and I'll try and help you get better results with all your knives. I give advice everyday and maybe I can help you out a little. Walk me through your progression and any other steps you take when you sharpen a knife.

Kind Regards,
Mark Richmond

Richmond Laser

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:46 pm 
Site Admin

Ok sounds good

My normal sharpening routine is a 300 to 1000 to a 6000 then a leather strop. Also I would love to have them sharpen it for me. I know that I am an amateur sharpener and want to get better but for the time being I just need a sharper knife.

Dan,
Sent from my iPhone

Richmond Laser

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:47 pm 
Site Admin

As to why you may be having trouble with the knife not getting sharp: Establishing a good edge with your 300 grit stone is essential before moving on to higher grits. Jumping from 300 to 1000 can be a little risky if you don't properly remove the burr first, it will cause a bit of a wire edge. I recommend a coarse diamond plate and 500 or 600 grit stone to compliment your 1000 and 6000. I have a general rule of thumb not to jump grits more than 4 times. (aka 1,000 to 4,000) Try to keep your jump at 3x or 2x for best results.

Sincerely,
Shaun Fernandez

Richmond Laser

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:57 pm 

First off, thank you for your kind comment. As far as my line up for carbon, (it does differ for stainless) but for carbon I do basically a full on natural stone finish. 400 is the exception as it's man made. But after that comes the Amakusa 800, Amakusa 1k, aoto, yaginoshima and finally a Ohira renge suita. For the record, the Ohira to me at least is a finer stone and works very well on white and 52100. 52100 does take a very fine edge and can be kind of hard to feel on the fingers, (once again for me personally) But it does hold its edge really good. Hope this helps and if not please don't hesitate to ask. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:59 am 
Site Admin

Hi Aarron,

Do you strop your knife after the Ohira?

Richmond Laser

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:29 am 

Well, normally I do, but guess I've been a little lazy as of late. haha. I still will give it a few passes over the horse strop though before I'm finished just to fully sweeten it. But on touch up, (after the end of the day of using it) then yes all I take it through all of them.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]