It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:37 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Paring knives, 80mm and 150mm
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:38 pm 

First of all, just to say that I have been reading this forum a lot and really love it! Also, I ordered some knives here before, but I need a recommendation this time and I hope it is not too big of a problem.

At the moment I have MAC Pro 240mm chef knife, Togiharu molybdenum gyuto 200mm and Fujiwara FKM 120mm. I have in mind buying Mac superior bread knife and Mac black ceramic rod, but I want two more paring knives, 80mm and 150mm. Could you please give me some recommendations?
I really love my MAC knife, so I thought about their paring knife, but I don't know what is and what is not good when it comes to knives (my friend recommended me these knives before).

1. Are you right handed? Yes
2. What type of knife are you interested in (gyuto, nakiri etc..) paring
3. What size knife are you looking for? 80mm and 150mm
4. Do you prefer carbon or stainless steel? Stainless and semi-stainless
5. Do you prefer a western handle or a Japanese handle? Both
6. How much did you want to spend? $250 for both knives combined
7. Do you know how to sharpen? Yes

PS Thank you in advance for your help and sorry if I have some grammar imperfections, english is not my native language.

Post subject: Re: Paring knives, 80mm and 150mm
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:45 am 

Shun Sora 3.5" Paring: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/shso3pa.html
Fujiwara FKM Stainless Petty 150mm: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/fufkmpe15.html

And you'll be set.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:11 am 

Seriously consider the Tojiro ITK bread knife and the Idahone honing rod instead of the Mac products. The knives are nearly identical except for cost and the Idahone is honestly a bit better than the Mac. I like Mac knives and have the same chef knife, but their products are a little pricy.

As for the knives themselves, Shun does make a good paring knife. I haven't tried the Sora, but the line really intrigues me. If the handle is decent they could be very competitive. I personally endorse cheap Victorinox paring knives and spending more money on other knives. I would seriously consider a Sora.

That would let you get a killer petty. Takamura is making some gorgeous knives right now, linked here.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:49 am 

Thank you for recommendations. I like shun and takamura more, so I think I would go towards them.
Are there any other good knives in such price range with wa handle? (i dont like the color on takamura handle so much, but that is less important)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:00 pm 

The closest you'll get to a wa handle for a stainless knife in ~80mm length, so far as I know, is the Shun classic parer. Here are some options with Japanese handles, at least in the 150 mm length. For a stainless petty that you plan to use for small tasks on the board, rather than for in-hand paring, Tanaka's VG-10 offers you a slightly taller, mini-gyuto profile that might be a good choice: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tavgpe15.html I can't comment on it personally, however. Given my experience with my Konosuke petty (a carbon one) I would also point you in their direction for a 150 if you wanted something with less height, for in-hand work, but many of them seem to be out of stock at the moment:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohdwa151.html
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohh15pe.html
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kowh2pe21.html (supposed to be an excellent line, if you can fit it in your budget with whatever you pick for your shorter knife, and actually in stock now)

(There's also the Kurosaki Megumi to consider, if you like its aesthetics. It is a wild card, but in budget if you were to get the Sora or similar as your shorter knife. This one is a little thicker, and pretty new to the site. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kumepe15.html)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:46 pm 
Forum Moderator

Simun, I would determine which knife will see the most use and put the $$ into that knife. If you only occasionally use a Paring knife, something like the Tojiro DP 90mm Paring is a great knife at a good price. I use the Tojiro at home. The Shun Classic 3.5" paring is an extremely nice knife, but it's a pretty penny for a Paring knife.

I haven't used one, but the Shun Sora Paring looks like an effective design at a great price.

You state that you want two more paring knives, 80mm and 150mm. I assume this means you want a 150mm that's less tall at the heel for utility and in-hand use?
There are two general styles to 150 Petty knives: taller iterations that handle more like mini-gyutos and shorter models that handle like utility knives.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:14 pm 

The Tanaka Sekeiso http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tadape15.html Damascus 150mm petty is an awesome knife. I haven't found a single in hand task that it can't handle, and it can take food to the board as well. I NEVER use my paring knife, as a matter of fact, because it just isn't versatile enough. The tanaka has a thin blade, weighs almost nothing, and literally functions like a food scalpel. For me, there is no need for a traditional "paring" knife. My 120mm petty is the shortest knife I carry in my knife roll to work.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:53 pm 

@SteveG yes, I am looking for a shorter profile, but seeing some models, I just might stretch up for both short and tall one. There are so many nice knives :D

For the 150mm, I like Tanaka VG-10 and Tanaka damascus the most, but my second favourite is Takamura Migaki R2.

For the 80mm, I like Sora very much, but the plastic handle is killing it, so i think i will go for Tojiro (or something cheaper than Shun classic, so i can put more money in the 150mm or even two ones, tall and short)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:34 pm 

Note that the Sekiso damascus is fully reactive, carbon core clad with carbon. Something to be aware of that separates it from the VG-10 series.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:40 pm 

Then the choice is between Tanaka VG-10 and Takamura Migaki R2. I don't know about quality of these, but the VG-10 is just damn beautiful, really like it.

Page 1 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next