It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:19 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: AS laser initial impressions
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:00 am 

After a bad experience with a "I thought it was dry" 52100 sab artifex, I decided to retire my Clydesdale from the roll and use it as my 99 percent of everything at home knife where I'll have the time to care for its full carbon soul. I was originally planning to wait for the 240 tkc, but the laser was in stock and I couldn't resist. After a few shifts on stations that actually have board space for a 240, I feel it's ok to talk of what this beast can do. My first project was finely shredding a massive amount of cabbage for slaw speed chopping maniacally through head after head of cabbage. I instantly fell in love with this knife. As my first j handled knife, I can find no reason for anyone with a pinch grip to worry about the transition. The handle is comfortable, sleek, and nimble. The blade heavy balance certainly aids in chopping power, especially for the last head. After that it was 25lbs of onions for caramelized onions followed by slicing tomatoes for burgers. Even after a heavy beating on poly boards it still glides through no problem. I could feel the spot with the most board contact was slightly duller than the rest of the blade, but I would say it still held its edge valiantly. I know this is going to be a prep beast for years to come. The knife is a breeze on stones and its thin edge gets ridiculously sharp, as well as arriving with a surprisingly solid ootb edge. This is a fantastic product, and the site pictures don't do it justice for how it looks in person. I'm looking forward to using this more and finding out what else this knife has to offer, thanks, Mark, for creating such a wonderful tool yet again.

Post subject: Re: AS laser initial impressions
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:22 pm 

Great write up!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:03 pm 

I like seeing reports of how these edges hold up in a pro setting. Thanks! Keep us posted.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:39 pm 

If there is a better knife at this price point I don't know what it is.
Beside the performance it also has by far the coolest handle options at the price.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:17 pm 

Good review. The AS Laser has been getting a lot of deserved love lately.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:43 am 

It is a great knife. My only gripes about it were that it was still just a little too short for my taste, and the radius of the belly was too small. I still have mine, and I will have it for a long time. Very handsome knife, with performance in spades. Mine had a little bit of a grind issue, near the heel it looked like whoever was putting the initial edge on the blade may have hesitated when he drew the knife across the grinding wheel, and created a hollow. Easily repaired though. Once you've used it for awhile you'll be amazed how fast that knife can go.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:20 pm 

Ive had my AS laser for a few weeks now and i love it

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:07 pm 

(sorry for being slow) This is the knife? http://www.chefknivestogo.com/rilaaosu24gy.html

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:41 pm 

That's the one! It is in stock with the maple and wenge reversed, although Melampus thinks it looks girly.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/rilaaosu24gy1.html

Mine is in bubinga, currently out of stock.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/rilaaosu24gy3.html

Cheers,

Rick

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:08 am 

Mines the one in the first link, I think it's just classy looking.

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next