It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:42 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: 3 new knives wanted. Gyuto, 15mm and 75mm Petty
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:21 pm 

sayatnova wrote:OK,

I think I am closer to it, now:

For the Gyuto:
I am looking at the Konosuke Ginsan, but at 240 mm

Def. think you made the right choice in stepping it up out of the 210. Will be grabbing a Kono soon myself.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:30 pm 

You may not need the 120mm if getting a 150mm petty. The difference is not great.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:43 pm 

Absolutely the best deal on a top tier 150mm petty on the site. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/fujiwara4.html
This knife will out cut many of the $200+ knives in it's class.

I too agree with gladius that 120 and 150mm petties may be redundant.

Some fear the hardness of the Fujiwara Nashji but I have no problems with these knives being "chippy". The extra hardness adds greatly to the edge retention of these knives.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:54 pm 

Hmmm,

Great points on the lack of a need for a 120, if getting a 150 petty. But,..

I am now wondering if the more pointy tip of the Fujiwara Nashji in a 135 mm might be a good "over-sized" paring option... and be better in this regard than the 120 mm Yuki?

I fear I may be looking at getting the Yuki 150 mm, Tetsuhiro 150 mm and the Fujiwara Nashji 135 mm here to see in person how they feel to me. It looks like I have 30 days to return whichever I don't like, as long as I don't use it on anything. I think handling them will help finish my choosing. Again, so hard to do via photos on a website (and Mark's site is really great).

These are good problems to have...;-)

~Shea

Post subject: Re: 3 new knives wanted. Gyuto, 150mm and 75mm Petty
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:43 am 

I went with the Kajiwara 120, for it's thick blade and complex grind. In retrospect, while it is a great knife, I now want a Fernandez 118 tall petty for its 50/50 grind. I will order one as soon as they are available again (I lost out this last time, I was on a 40 mile bike ride when the email was sent, and by the time I got home all 4 were sold). I will still use the Kajiwara, but it will be an at home knife rather than work/home use. I'm really glad to see that you decided to go to a 240mm gyuto, you will not regret that decision. 8" is just too short in my opinion for push cutting, and rocking. The knife that will surprise you is that mid size petty. I can almost guarantee that you will not miss your paring knife. I never use a paring knife, and I do a lot of garnish work. My 150mm petty is my paring knife, and it goes on the board and gets busy there too.

Good luck, and have fun!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:29 pm 

I recently bought a Kono Ginsan 240 with a yew handle. Fantastic blade. Outrageous, really. Fit and finish are exemplary, the steel performs well, etc. I also feel like this knife, unlike the Kono Fujis, still feels like a laser. Contrary to a previous post suggestion, my Kono Ginsan has a very flat profile—it appears to be more like the Kanehiro and some Masakages rather than Kono's HD and HH gyuto profile (the difference being it has a less pointed tip and more of a santoko downward arch, keeping the edge flatter across the blade). I own several Konos, including two Funayuki-Gyutos, and my Ginsan is undoubtedly the flattest of them all, although it is still rounded enough to roll and navigate nicely on the board (no "dead" spots, just generally flatter with less belly than my other knives).

Jeff B: I'd love to hear your about your experience with the T-F 150mm petty. I'm also looking for a petty in this size, and I feel like you're the only person I've really seen on the forum praising this knife as *outperforming* its peers (obviously, Mel started a following for the gyutos, but we all know that those are very different knives in many ways, and my sense is he may not feel the qualities of the 240 necessarily transfer to the entire line). What exactly have you compared it to, personally? I still think the gyutos aren't right for me, but I could be convinced the petty is.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:02 pm 

Hi Joe, The only two other petties I have owned are the Goko white#1 and a Kono white #2 both 150mm. One slightly cheaper and the other about the same price. I first bought the Kono. A good knife but was more of a trimming and peeling style petty so I decided I wanted something a little taller and more robust to go with it for light chopping. So I bought the Goko because of the height, rustic finish and heard about the killer edge. For some reason I just didn't connect with this knife, it was just, ehh.

At this point Melampus had written his review of the 240 gyuto and this put the Fujiwara on the radar. After studying it some I said what the hell and bought it. I fell in love with that knife the minute I took it out of the box. Beautiful look if your into the rustic thing and the edge was scary sharp. I washed the knife and cut a few things, celery, carrots and garlic. I didn't want to put the knife down! It performed spectacularly and was exactly what I had been looking for in that size knife. Takes the scariest sharp edge I have ever felt and holds it forever! A light stropping brings it right back when it feels to be slipping some. I think the high hardness takes the white steel to a whole new level. Not nearly as chippy as one would suspect but gives it stellar edge retention on par with the best of carbons. I sold the Goko here and the Kono to a friend because I knew that this was going to be the "it" petty.

I haven't used the much more expensive petties in the $200+ range but I can't imagine that they could perform any better than this one. They would have to be able to cut the food for you while you did other things! Of course this is nothing but speculation on my part. I will say that if you want a very tall gyuto style petty you might be not be satisfied with this one. "To me" it is the best of both worlds, tall enough to do the light chopping but short enough to be nimble when trimming and slicing. I call it the tweener! :mrgreen:

A little wordy but my $0.02 for what that's worth. :geek:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:17 pm 

Thanks for the response, Jeff! This is very, very helpful for me in my considerations, and it is always a pleasure to read about someone having a fully, truly satisfying experience with one of his or her knives. I hope that it also helps others reading this tread who are interested in a new petty as well.

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2