It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:19 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Petty/Suji for the line.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:17 am 

Hey all, I have recently found myself doing work on my station that I would be interested in a petty 180-210mm for slicing, or an extra short suji. I have a 300mm Kono HH that is just too much knife for the job. That knife belongs on the carvery, not my line station. I don't mind a shorter knife (height) for this job.

Pretty much my only choice in the petty format seems to be the Kono HD2 180mm, or Fujiyama 210mm which is fine, but if anyone has another idea, please share. I am more curious as to other possibly obscure options, I'm reasonably sure that I will keep plugging along with my 150mm carbon elite (just a hair too short). Or Gyuto Du-jour (overkill really). Should have bought that Goko Damascus suji when I had the chance!

I'm right handed
Petty/Suji 180mm - 210mm .....240, ugh.
Stainless, semi stainless, SS clad, Carbon (in that order, preferably)
Handle style doesn't matter
Budget, $200 or less. Fujiyama crashes that at a little more, but sometimes, you just have to accept that.

Post subject: Re: Petty/Suji for the line.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:40 am 

not sold here, but fujiwara does sell a 180 petty in the fkm line that would make a good line knife, same old dependable cheep stainless that will take a beating and ask for more... actually on second look, its very close to the same as cktg are selling as a gyuto, 31mm hieght in the petty, 39 in the gyuto... or look at richmond laser 210 petty??

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:02 am 

Given the choices I think I'd have to grab the 180 HD and be happy.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:07 am 

I just picked up a Richmond 210 AEBL petty for trimming steaks at work, and it is fantastic. My review is on the forum. Perfectly suited for detailed slicing work on meat or veg.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:07 am 

Jeff B wrote:Given the choices I think I'd have to grab the 180 HD and be happy.

Seriously. Slim pickings at 180. I think the only others are the AEB-L laser and Suisin INOX, Blue Fujiyama is OOS.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:09 am 

JourneymanDoug wrote:I just picked up a Richmond 210 AEBL petty for trimming steaks at work, and it is fantastic. My review is on the forum. Perfectly suited for detailed slicing work on meat or veg.

Your review is what set this whole thing off. THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT!

Haha, all kidding aside, a great review. I hesitate to go up into the 200mm+ range, but it does open up some more options.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:53 am 

Dan_Crubenew wrote:
JourneymanDoug wrote:I just picked up a Richmond 210 AEBL petty for trimming steaks at work, and it is fantastic. My review is on the forum. Perfectly suited for detailed slicing work on meat or veg.

Your review is what set this whole thing off. THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT!

Haha, all kidding aside, a great review. I hesitate to go up into the 200mm+ range, but it does open up some more options.

My bad :lol:

Did about 300lbs of beef fabrication in the last couple days with the 210 perfect for everything but frenching bone in rib-eye.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:18 am 
Forum Moderator

DAN <> If you don't mind the light weight of the 180HD <--, I really can't see any reason you would pause on clicking the button. :| It is a REALLY short light flickable knife, and you know how I feel about the steel... yada yada.

What are you slicing? How about a little yani as they are inherently short slicers? I love the Kaneshige 210 <--link for what you are seemingly describing. It is short in length, as well; coming in at 20cm on the edge. The Kono will be short @17.5. I'm sure you've heard me going on & on about how great the grind is on mine, and the W#3 is a tough little alloy.

Here she is on a large duck breast (muscovy) & a tuna loin:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:56 pm 

I own the Fujiyama 210 blue2 and it's a good knife. I will say it has great geometry. The grind is terrific, true 50/50, and initial work on the primary bevel takes minimal work with water stones. Very thin behind the edge and easy to sharpen. Edge holding is fair but really easy to re-sharpen without nuisance burrs. I've been going 3 months not sharpening, just daily touch ups along the edge. I would suggest ho wood handle. Very reactive though. I like patina, just not what I expected.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]