It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:26 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 4 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Itto Ryu white, Goko White, or Anryu Hammered?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:00 pm 

gladius wrote:The Goko is the stoutest and stiffest of the three knives and what I would deem most of a workhorse.

Some have commented it "wedges and needs work" but I have not found that to be the case and have done nothing beyond initial sharpening.

The Goko is thinner and lighter than the Itto-Ryu, how can it be stiffer and more of the workhorse?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:14 pm 

The Goko is a beastly knife. Aside from the Tojiro DP, which is yo handled, and the Artifex which is zaftig at the edge, the Goko is probably the heaviest, stiffest knife I own.

I would not presume to compare it to the Itto-Ryu since I have not handled one. My instinct is to say the two knives are different, but one is not obviously superior to the other. Now that is SPECULATION, not information.

That said, the Itto-Ryu specs out as the heavier knife and is thicker at the spine. Take that with a grain of salt, the grind of the Itto-Ryu may make the weight and specs at the spine irrelevant, furthermore, these are handmade knives so there will be significant variation between examples.

According to gladius, the only person who appears to have handled both, the Itto-Ryu is not the more beastly of the two.

Either way it does not sound as though you can go wrong. Often when faced with a choice between two suitable choices, I go by price.

That is my $0.02, and it is vastly overpriced at that. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:19 pm 

cedarhouse wrote:The Goko is a beastly knife.....

I have handled one and do agree but given the specs I just don't see it being more "beastly" than the Itto Ryu. And as you later said, either may be a great candidate. I can't wait to get my hands on this Itto Ryu in the platinum pass around after all this talk about it!
That's my $0.01 and yes, it's overpriced too. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:22 pm 

All three are great knives.

Performance wise I'd rate the Anryu a tick better than the Itto and that a tick better than the Goko.
They rank the same from thinnest to thickest at the edge and behind.

Robustness-wise I would rank them opposite: Goko, Itto then Anryu BUT...
know that I have not pushed any of them hard (home cook) to really find out which takes a beating best
but my money is on the Goko, at least based on my experience with these. In a practical sense they all may work just fine in a busy commercial setting.

Sharpness-wise I can't tell too much difference between the W#1 and W#2 steels, at least not amongst these examples, but CAN tell between those and the B#2. I prefer White steel. It really takes a keen edge. Unless you have them side-by-side though I don't think it is extremely noticeable.

The Anryu's tip had bent on me. The tip IS very thin but I think that is what makes it perform so well.

While the Itto may be heavier from specs, the Goko certainly "feels" heavier due to blade forward balance. The Itto is better balanced and nimbler. The Goko has a very stout feeling stiff blade that gives confidence in attacking whatever (within reason of course).

The handle may account for the weight difference as well. The Goko has a chestnut handle I believe that is not very dense and so absorbs hand warmth giving it a very comfortable feel to it.

There maybe also the differences between the "older" darker Itto and the newer batches. The specs may be from the older batches (clad with old iron)?? Speculation there.

The Goko is very similar to the Teruyasu-Fujiwara (TF) in overall feel and look including use of W#1 steel but one can easily tell the TF has more work behind it: better grind and heat treat and that intangible (some call it old soul). In that sense the Goko is a young TF if you will.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:26 pm 

BTW: what is the platinum pass around?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:40 pm 

Thanks again for the additional clarity and information. Definitely liking the sound of the Goko with the forward balance etc...

The platinum pass around is a knife pass around for those with >1000 posts I believe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:59 pm 

Very good post gladius, thanks.

SolidSnake03 wrote:The platinum pass around is a knife pass around for those with >1000 posts I believe

Correct

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:39 am 

"I can't wait to get my hands on this Itto Ryu in the platinum pass around after all this talk about it!"

No kidding. It might be the knife I am most excited to play with.

"the Goko certainly "feels" heavier due to blade forward balance."

This makes a lot of sense, the Goko is very blade heavy.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:07 am 

All this interest in the Itto Ryu makes me want to buy both....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:38 am 

There have been a few really flattering reviews of the Itto-Ryu recently. The knife has been on the site for some time now but it got some good press in the last month or two. I think that is why it is getting so much interest. IIRC, the Goko is a bit more established so more people are familiar with them. It would be the other way around if the Itto-Ryu had taken off first.

Page 3 of 4 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next