It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:41 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Recommendation for my first gyuto
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:21 pm 

It is a lot of fun to hear back from first time JK users.

Glad to hear you are enjoying it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:57 pm 

Very good feedback, we can never get enough!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:18 pm 

NewbieButOldie wrote:
  • Because of the weight, it actually felt smaller than my old western 8" chef knife. I would recommend getting a 240mm JK for newbies

This is what I tell EVERYONE, and I was going to put the same thing here, until I saw that you'd already made a purchase. In my mind, 240 is even just a bit short. I think ideal would be 255-265, right at about 6 oz., 48-50mm tall, with a gentle continuous curve from heel to tip. Too many home cooks shy away from larger blades, especially those coming from a bolstered western knife. Once you use a pinch grip you realise how much real estate you can really make use of compared to a racquet grip.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:56 pm 

+1 with Doug, except I prefer a 270 to be taller than 50mm. More like 53-54mm works for me. After having my Fujiyama gyuto for while(and it's shorter at ~230mm) and recently acquiring a 270, I kinda see the 240 as my 210 now. :)

Congrats on the purchase BTW!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:12 am 

estayton wrote:Glad to hear you are enjoying it, and your experience speaks to the age-old 210/240 question. I think a lot of people come to the same conclusion you did. If the handle really bothers you, you could have it re-handled at some point with something a bit larger in diameter. It would mean investing more money in the knife but if it would make it better to use it is something to consider.

If you rehandle it be careful with how it shifts the balance point. A 210 Wa knife usually has the balance point right at the pinch grip. Going with a larger handle will make it handle heavy.

Page 2 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2