It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:04 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Help
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:18 pm 

Buying a knife sight unseen is a pain. The good news is that knives in this price range are easy to sell or trade, so if you don't like a knife there's usually a buyer at a slight markdown.

If I was in the market for a petty now the Fujiwara Nashiji would be numbers 1, 2, and 3 on my list. We were discussing the cost of his knives recently and considering how outstanding the full length gyuto are considered, even at their high price, the petty is a no brainer.

Caring for carbon is actually pretty easy. You just wipe the knife well immediately after use. Keep a wet towel and a dry towel by your station and it's not a problem. You would think there's more nuance but there pretty much isn't. After some period of use the knife will form a patina, a thin layer of oxidized material, and will gain some additional chemical resistance. You can force a patina if you feel a need. After that, it's smooth sailing.

Edit: The Fujiwara and quite a few other knives you would be considering are carbon steel clad in stainless. Clad knives are a little more forgiving because only the edge requires that more exacting care.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:33 pm 

Thanks for the advice everyone, I think I'm going to give the Fujiwara a go, I'm sure it is not the last knife I'm going to buy and seems a good place to start.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:36 pm 

Oh yeah, I forgot with the length, if there is someone who has used one is it better to get the 135mm or 150mm.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:41 pm 

Just throwing this out there, and I realize it is not specifically what you were asking for Andy, but if you want a fantastic gyuto that feels like a petty b/c of pattern, geometry and balance, you should check out the Kikuichi TKC in 210mm. Semi-stainless ass-kicking little blade. By far the most comfortable/natural feeling knife I own and I actually primarily use it as a larger petty. It honestly feels like a 150 -180mm knife in the hand

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:14 pm 
Forum Moderator

Andy, 150mm.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:33 pm 
Forum Moderator

150mm is far more useful for me.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:43 pm 

150 mm is a really good size. Mine (not a Fujiwara) is getting a lot more use than smaller knives ever have it my cooking, and though part of that is that it is my only high-quality small J-knife, part is also just due to the task flexibility of a blade of that length.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:32 pm 

andyt wrote:Oh yeah, I forgot with the length, if there is someone who has used one is it better to get the 135mm or 150mm.

I was really fortunate to recently score a custom petty by Adam Marr.
It's a 160 which I was worried would be a bit long.
But in the week I've owned this beautiful knife it has become my go-to blade.
I believe you will be very happy with a longer knife.
I certainly am...more than I could have imagined before I got this work of art and amazing kitchen tool.
Aloha!

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2