It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:34 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Stainless petty: Tanaka vg10 or Takamura
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:11 pm 
Forum Moderator

@Elder - That series is all stainless, cladding and core.

@Bill - I have and use the Tojiro DP 90mm Paring. I like it a lot. The Shun is a super Paring knife, but I couldn't justify the extra $$ for a knife I don't use all the time. I like the ergonomics on the Tojiro DP - it's easy to use and the extra flat blade profile works great for peeling in-hand items. Try it!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:40 pm 

Steve,
Thanks for getting back. Taking your advice on both Petty and Paring.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:21 pm 
Forum Moderator

HILL <> In moot reply, Shun get's a bad rap because they predominately use VG-10 steel that is, on their knives, notoriously "chippy", they are not cheap as compared to other JK you can get for the dollar & their Gyutos have big bellys. They are easy to sharpen though they might not have the best of feel on the stones, they have IMPECCABLE fit & finish, and they are quite light. They are good knives that get a bad rap. I take them for what they are worth, and profile trumps steel for me 100% of the time. I can & do use lesser steel knives with more appropriately matched profiles, for me, with FAR greater efficacy then a compromise in profile just so I can have what steel snobs deem as "best". I have their parer of which is not my "#1 go-to" & Gokujo for said reasons.

The Tojiro is a GREAT knife & value @$40. The Shun is a different knife altogether. In hand, the difference is analogous to holding a chunky Western as to a slim Japanese Wa. I'm not saying the Tojiro is clunky; I'm contrasting the two.

My favorite parer is not even available @CKTG; I simply offered options w/explanations as to why.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:42 am 

Mel, I do think that there is much wisdom in your theme about profile as primary. You got my attention. That's for sure, but
everything has a tradeoff. I was impressed enough with the Shun design that if I looked at their nakiri knife which may or may not
be next in line to select. Like stout beer, , small bore sporters and all things that have floated my boat, I wish that I could sample them all first hand before a final commitment. My wife is the one using the paring knife and it's a knife that I mostly avoid. There is a a sense of agility which seems so different
than other knives. Thanks for your post. It is a conundrum. I wish that she could try them both. Worth the extra money if she has gets the added efficacy and pleasure.

Meanwhile, my Anyru Santuko is pleasure. For all I know, that knife could do everything that I need in the kitchen. Today,
cut my favorite bread better than a bread knife. I suspect that it's a pleasure that most food enthusiasts do not even know they are missing.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:36 pm 

I own that messermeister paring knife. works great for me although I haven't tried a dozen different paring knives to compare

Page 2 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2