It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:36 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 9 of 9 [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: Clad Knives
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:59 pm 

Looks like this is another example where the answer to which to buy is both.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:48 pm 

Perhaps not both but maybe either (though of course you can mix).

The two Shapton lines appear to be different systems: the Pro line progressing from course, medium and fine with stones formulated for either carbon or stainless in each grade where as the Glass line progresses incrementally and at each stage accommodates either carbon or stainless up through the very hard steel types.

See Shapton's description:

http://www.shapton.com/#!glassstone/c1fsz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:33 am 

Okay so I purchased the following: Shapton Pro 320, Shapton Pro 1500, Shapton Pro 5000, Tanaka Damascus Petty 150mm, and Fujiwara Carbon Sujihiki 270mm. I just realized tonight that I forgot to add the Diamond Flattening Plate to the cart. Will any Diamond Flattening plate work if so I'll try to find one locally.

I'm second guessing my purchase though, because someone elsewhere told me that the Shaptons act like stones with a lot more grit and that I probably should have gotten I should have gotten hire grit stones.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:39 am 

TomWilson wrote:Okay so I purchased the following: Shapton Pro 320, Shapton Pro 1500, Shapton Pro 5000, Tanaka Damascus Petty 150mm, and Fujiwara Carbon Sujihiki 270mm. I just realized tonight that I forgot to add the Diamond Flattening Plate to the cart. Will any Diamond Flattening plate work if so I'll try to find one locally.

I'm second guessing my purchase though, because someone elsewhere told me that the Shaptons act like stones with a lot more grit and that I probably should have gotten I should have gotten hire grit stones.

Shapton Pros don't really dish. Unless you want a diamond plate for repairs, I say you are ok without it for now. As for the progression, I wouldn't second guess it myself. The line-up looks fine. If anything, perhaps for me, the jump from 320 to 1.5K is a bit of a stretch, but you should be ok, just take another minute defining your bevel on the 1.5 before going forward to the polish and you should be fine.

I'm sure the others can chime in to call me an idiot if I'm mistaken.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:18 am 

A lot more grit? I'm afraid I don't know what that means. The grit markings follow the JIS scale pretty closely and a 5k edge is a good stopping point for a kitchen knife. The Shapton stones are a standard of quality.

I'll echo the 320 to 1.5k jump being a bit long, but it isn't horrible.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:22 am 

Tom, trust the guys here with sharpening recommendations. They know their shit and won't steer you wrong. The amount of knowledge and insight that people are willing to share here in a consumable fashion is pretty amazing. I'd suggest moving your stone query to the sharpening Q&A forum

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:20 am 

ChipB wrote:Tom, trust the guys here with sharpening recommendations. They know their shit and won't steer you wrong. The amount of knowledge and insight that people are willing to share here in a consumable fashion is pretty amazing. I'd suggest moving your stone query to the sharpening Q&A forum

I'm dropping that line of questioning and just going to focus learning how to use them on my Forschners. I'll wait to ask more questions in the appropriate forums after I receive my new tools and start using them.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:40 am 

That progression in the Shapton Pro line is perfectly fine.

See article here:
http://jendeindustries.wordpress.com/20 ... ss-series/

Shapton stones are incredible.
How about progressing from 500, to 2k then straight to 16k!

Check out this video using that progression on a Takamura...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eimx4QO ... JvxFPp2aAQ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:29 am 

Feel free to ask any question you have. When you read things that are wildly disparate from what others are saying in this kind of hobby, such as dissatisfaction with Shapton's Pro line, you're either looking at brand loyalty or someone who had different expectations to begin with. Some really experienced, skilled sharpeners don't like the Shaptons because they have more exacting expectations, and that's fine, but you'll find the vast majority of us like them a lot. It's important to clear that sort of thing up, though.

If you decide you don't like the Shaptons, I assure you there's a thriving secondary market. Three or four of us tried to buy a Shapton 320 out of Mark's Close Out section today.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:00 am 
Forum Moderator

READERS <> I AM NOT RESURRECTING A DEAD THREAD, BUT I NEED TO ADMIT A MISTAKE I MADE IN ONE DATA POINT. IT DOES NOT CHANGE THE THREAD, BUT IT DOES LESSON THE DISPARITY OF ONE COMPARISON MADE. I COULD HAD JUST EDITED THE NUMBER W/O A NOTE, BUT IT WOULD HAD CONFUSED THE CONTINUITY OF THE READ FOR FUTURE VIEWERS.

I HAD SPOKE FROM MEMORY, BUT ONCE SEEING SUCH A SPREAD, I CHECKED MY NOTES & IN FACT, THE ANRYU I USED WAS 205 GRAMS... NOT THE 225 I QUOTED.

PLEASE EXCUSE MY ERROR.

Page 9 of 9 [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9