It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:27 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Tojiro Shirogami 210mm and Richmond Addict 2
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:22 pm 
Forum Moderator

I got some play time in today! First up was re grinding my Tojiro 210mm gyuto, Shirogami series.

Before the regrind:

After the regrind:

Why did I regrind it? Because I wanted to see how it would make a difference cutting wise :) Made a HUGE difference!! Food would like to wedge where the bevel met in the middle of the blade. Onions would wedge badly and so would potatoes. The blade took a wicked edge and kept it nicely, but was only really useful for stuff that was either soft or shorter than the beveled area was. I went 60, 120, 220 grit belt finish on it. I started with flat grinding the upper 2/3 of the blade or so until I had thinned out that bevel transition area a bit. Then I went to the slack belt to blend the bevels and thin behind the edge a bit. While I was in there, I rounding the spine and choil and had to redo the tip a bit from the grinding.

I also got a Richmond Addict 2 in yesterday from Jmbullman. I used it a little this morning for cutting chicken, peppers, onions for dinner prep, worked really nicely. Sweet edge he had on it, but a bit too much polished for my tastes; I know, I'm weird! I used it for the quick prep, cut through everything nicely. After cutting, I resharpened it so it would be more like my other knives edge wise to compare them better.

Addict 2 and Tojiro:

I went out and got some steaks for lunch, more peppers, onions and mushrooms for dinner and to make cheese steak melts for lunch :) I put the 2 knives head to head. The Addict 2 is much lighter than the Tojiro weight wise, thinner, taller, etc. The Addict 2 and Tojiro passed the onion test; I didn't shed any tears unlike the first time I used the Tojiro on an onion before re profiling! The Tojiro wedged a tiny bit, but much less than before! The Addict 2, being thinner, had no problems cutting through the onions. The taller blade made it stick to the side of the onion where it was taller a bit more, though. The Tojiro is shorter, so less friction heightwise. Peppers, I actually liked the way the Tojiro cut, seemed a touch smoother in the cut. Mushrooms, same thing. The Tojiro seemed a touch easier to control and was smoother to cut quickly with. It may be the shorter blade length and height wise, but there was a slight edge to the Tojiro, which I was surprised at. I still gotta cut more to get used to the Addict with it's extra height. The weight of the Tojiro also seemed to help it feel like it was cutting on it's own; it kinda fell through the stuff with the extra weight.

After doing the veggies and getting them cooking, I shaved the steaks using both knives. Both cut really well on the steak, the Addict seemed a bit smoother. One thing I noticed overall with the Addict was that it seemed to have a longer flat spot on the heel and food accordioned less than with the Tojiro. The extra height of the Addict had some added friction cutting through taller foods, but felt a touch easier in some of the cuts. Both out cut my Kikuichi Elite Carbon Gyuto easily, so I gotta go back, thin out that edge and see if I am going to keep it or sell it. These were the first two gyuto's that cut almost as nicely as my Nakiri on the veggies!

Overall, very pleased with both! The Tojiro is a nice size for cutting a smaller amount of stuff and the Addict is going to be used more for larger quantity prep. I did sharpen both with a 1200 Beston, 5K Rika and a Henkels 8000 stone and deburred and stropped on one of my laminates, so they almost had the same edge. The Tojiro, being carbon, was easier to sharpen and had more bite to the edge. The CPM154 Addict 2 was more difficult to sharpen, but I think that was more because of the blade flexing if I leaned into it too hard. Both held their edges well through the short testing. Round 2 is coming up since I need to finish prepping the food for dinner :)

Post subject: Re: Tojiro Shirogami 210mm and Richmond Addict 2
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:41 pm 
Forum Moderator

That Tojiro is going to get an AWESOME patina when you cut red meat!

Well done!

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:47 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yeah, the patina didn't go as well as I hoped today! I cut the raw steaks, rubbed the pieces all over the blade, just made it a bit darker grey. I think the steaks needed to be bloodier maybe?? I will keep trying. Some of the onions turned brown when I cut them, but only on the first few slices. The patina has some blue, some purple and some gold (rust??) on the Tojiro now. Addict of course is still shiny. I'm really not used to stainless yet!

Did some more cutting and honestly, I can't decide between the two. They just have a different feel to them. I am more used to the narrower profile knives, so the Addict will take some getting used to, as well as the Wa handles, still getting used to them as well. The Addict did better with the peppers, but the Tojiro did better on the mushrooms; easier to get thinner slices, but I think it may be the blade width. Onions, they were about equal; the taller blade of the Addict equaled out the slightly thicker blade of the Tojiro. Meats, about equal, maybe a slight advantage to the Tojiro due to the more bitey edge. I could straight down cut the steaks with both though :)

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:08 pm 
Forum Moderator

If you cook the steaks first, it seems to help :D

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:50 pm 
Forum Moderator

Michiel Vanhoudt wrote:If you cook the steaks first, it seems to help :D

Due to the salt, heat, and protein breakdown (I think?). Yes, I feel as though cooked meat works better.

BTW, GREAT JOB DUDE, I'm sure that took a couple hours at least :)

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 1:24 am 
Forum Moderator

Couple hours?? For redoing the blade? Maybe an hour or so? Belt sanders make quick work of the steel :) I have a Grizzly 2x72 from when I made knives around 10 years ago. That sucker removes metal quick!!! 3M Ceramic belts help, too!

Ahhh....cooked steak :) I shaved the steak before I cooked it, that would explain why it didn't do much to it, duh! I will have to do a pot roast this week then! I will remember that when my 300mm White #2 suji arrives in a few months, too! Still gotta test these out in potatoes and carrots, too. Sounds like another good meal!

The grinds aren't completely clean and blended yet, but its to the point where I can use it to compare the old/new. The tip is much thinner, as is the overall knife. The convex really helps; before, it wedged pretty good. Now, it's nearly on par with the Addict, which is super thin! I've read that the convex grind works great, but I was very surprised at how much difference it made. The tip is much thinner, too.

The handle on the Tojiro was my first real Wa style attempt. First try to drill the blocks of buffalo horn and Redwood Burl didn't go well. The second attempt, I used a Micarta liner in between scales of buffale horn and Redwood. I cut the tang profile out of the Micarta and then epoxied the scales to the Micarta liner. I have another way to try the drilling the handle blocks next time to see if it works better. The handle was almost an all day project where I can usually knock out a Western style handle in a couple hours.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 1:29 am 
Site Admin

Man I love what you did with the ITK. It looks awesome!

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:47 pm 
Forum Moderator

Thanks!! I don't think I am going to have to touch the blade of the Addict 2 at all, but I'm thinking up a new handle for it already :) Thinking some Alternate White Ivory for the ferrule and black WildeBeast bone for the rear portion.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]