It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:39 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Looking for consistency in my stone collection
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:41 am 

Alright, so I really enjoy my Japanese naturals for my finishing stone/s, but it's everything below my Ozuku and strops that I am now considering. I already own a Chosera 400, so it would seem like a obvious choice to add the 1K, 3K, 5K progression. Is that a sufficient grit progression prior to finishing with my Ozuku?

How does Chosera stack up against the Nubatama line, or Shapton, when considering what seems to be the more popular higher end manufactured stones? What's your favorite brand and grit progression? I understand these choices are based on the type of steel and edge geometry that one primarily works with, but I thought I could get a quick poll of opinions prior to investing the hard earned dollars any further. Thanks for your time CKTG forum!

Post subject: Re: Looking for consistency in my stone collection
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:14 am 
Forum Moderator

Beston 1200, Rika 5K is an awesome progression! I sometimes go from the Rika 5K to my Ozuka Asagi, or I throw the Shobu San in between the two.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:17 pm 

I personally like the Nubatama stones because they are the very close to a natural stone in performance yet have the cutting speed of a diamond stone. Not to mention a extremely wide range of options to suit almost anyone's needs.

The ozuku is a 15k stone IIRC so stopping with a lead-in of 5k is really cutting yourself short.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:09 pm 

I'm gonna say you need a 1k stone, a 5k stone, and maybe one more 8-12k stone. You can go from 5k to the Ozuku, but it is more time consuming to get all the 5k scratches out. You could also get a glossy 5k like the Shapton Pro. But if you aren't sharpening straight razors, I'd get the Suehiro Rika 5k, it puts a nice start of a contrast on a knife for JNats to follow up on, and is muddy enough to help blend your hamaguri edges(if you are into that kind of thing). The Rika feels TOTALLY different from a JNat, probably about as different as possible. The Rika feels soft, silky, swishy, and grippy. Everything the Ozuku is not.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:13 pm 

I forgot to say that which 1k you get really depends on what 5k you are building up for. For me, a 1k is about removing tiny damage on knives that are already under my care, and removing the scratches from the stones below 1k on knives getting new edges entirely.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:31 am 
Forum Moderator

Yeah, it does take longer to go from the 5K to the Ozuka, which is why I usually use the Shobu in between the two. But it can be done! Even without getting all of the Rika 5K scratches out, the Ozuka gives a nice refinement to the edge and the 5K toothiness is still somewhat present.

The Rika is a fun stone. Very smooth and creamy. The Ozuka is pretty dang hard and while smooth, has a different feel to it. It is pretty slow in general as well. The Shobu is a nice stone, too and works nicely to bridge the gap between the Rika 5K and Ozuka Asagi.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:50 am 

Thanks for all the info gentlemen! It's been an enjoyable journey that continues , been sharpening for about a decade, but have only within the last year become serious about freehand. Started back in the day with the Spyderco V sticks, then the Edgepro, then the mighty Tormek, and I'm happy to report that now I'm exclusively stones, and wouldn't have it any other way. Today was exciting as I was finally able to put the beginning, middle and end together for a tremendous edge. I learned to gently coax the burr into existence, instead of grinding it. Also, learned to make the most perfect edge possible on each stone before moving on to the next, and varying my edge pressure. This made a world of difference. I'll continue to take each of your advice into consideration as I continue to add to my arsenal. Have a great weekend.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:01 pm 
Forum Moderator

Well I'd precede the Ozuku Asagi with a softer (not soft, just less hard) polishing stone like the Yaginoshima Asagi. Below that the Nubatama 3k bamboo would be an elegant choice. In the 1k range if you want a softer stone, go for the Nubatama Bamboo 1200 or if you want something firmer, consider the Nubatama Ume Speckled stone - available in regular, hard or extra hard. With this lineup you maintain a more consistent 'lineup' going for the goal of a natural stone finish. The 3k Nubatama Bamboo gives a superb natural stone type of finish - good contrast but a 'natural' good contrast, not a faux natural finish.

Now you could use the 15k Nubatama Bamboo instead of the Yaginoshima, but then you might skip the Ozuku too:) It really is an elegant stone. I haven't tried it yet preceding the Ozuku, but it should work nicely. The difference would be a more uniform finish that what you get with the Ozuku on a knife because of it's hardness, but for a straight razor, you would be fine.

If you are more budget minded, consider the 5k Nubatama Bamboo.

---
Ken

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]