It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:40 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Tojiro DP 170mm Honesuki/Garisuke --> SOLD!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:48 pm 

For Sale:

“Oversized,” 170mm Tojiro DP Honesuki (or Garisuke, as it is currently called)

Approximate specs from site:
8oz
170mm blade
305 overall
Spine thickness: 3.1

My knife is about 238 grams and about 302 overall.

The blade is a couple years old, but has seen minimal use. Keep in mind that it is a single-bevel knife with a concave backside. I’d estimate at-home use averaged once a month, on meals for 2-4—it has never been used in a professional capacity. I have touched up the blade gently a few times (probably less than five), and have attempted to slightly thin the shoulder on one side (hence the buffed finish along the right edge), but only as a bailed experiment after just a few strokes on the stones (once I noticed the buffing, I decided to stop—the grind was entirely unaffected). Because the knife has been used so little, most of the “sharpening” was simply a matter of me touching it up while I had my stones out for other knives. The handle is in good shape, although, since I have used the knife mostly on raw meat, it has been washed with water and soap quite a bit and does not have that “new shine” any more; a bit of oil or sanding might revive it, but I’ll leave this up to the next owner.

As the pictures illustrate, the knife features a small chip (more properly, two microchips) near the tip. Note that – as illustrated by the regular photos – they are obviously so small as to require magnification. Rather than hide the chip(s) by fixing it before selling, I figured I would leave the flaw and let the next owner handle it however s/he wants. Besides, it feels more honest. Two other photos use light glare to maximize the appearance of scratches. Note that, as in the first two pictures, most of these scratches are not noticeable when viewing the knife normally. Of all my Tojiros, it arrived the sharpest OOTB. I don’t think the knife has ever been sharpened below 1k, and the edge is still probably mostly factory—almost no metal has been removed during my touch-ups.
I’d happily part with the knife for $70 plus shipping, or $80 all inclusive (whichever is cheaper), and I will include the original box. I'd prefer paypal or, if possible, email/electronic bank transfer (this is a FREE service depending on your bank). I’m also interested in “best offers,” as I’ve never tried to sell a knife here before, and I know this is an item that has a limited audience. I’m in no rush to sell, but I’d hate for it to not have a proper home over a couple of bucks.

Please send me a PM for all inquires into cost, best offers, and shipping questions/concerns.

As always, see CKTG for a long list of reviews. The knife is a solid performer for large, meaty tasks!

Post subject: Re: Tojiro DP 170mm [oversized] Honesuki/Garisuke
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:41 pm 

No best offers even? I know my pictures are raw and revealing, but this knife is in seriously good condition. The scuffs are totally superficial and barely noticeable in person, and the thing has probably been used – comparatively – a total of less than one full day "on the line." My guess is that any new owner would sharpen it up, and it would literally provide the same life and service as a fully new blade.

That said, I realize this knife is really a special-use tool. Oddly, my special uses for it have been for baking more than anything else: great for chocolate, nuts, cold butter, hard cheese, hardened sugars, and other fillers that make my other knives quiver with intimidation. I'll take the post down if the situation persists.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:08 pm 

I could use me a good bird knife. PM you in a second

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:00 pm 

SOLD to a new, happy owner. Moderators: lease remove the thread.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]