It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:36 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Crankin, part 2!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:45 pm 

the crimson spacers of lining is my favorite. lately ive been seeing more of the laminate or plastic handels. i might be mistaken on what kind of material it is but real nice USA American touch! Congrats on USA for gold!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:59 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yeah, I really like the Red Liners with Maple burl, it's a really nice combo. I did one of the Amboyna burl with the red spacer and the spacer kinds gets lost a bit since the wood is reddish orange, which is why I went to the yellow spacers on those to make them pop a bit more.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:03 am 
Forum Moderator

Working on the last 3 Artifex in the batch that Mark sent out to me! Orange cream is just about done, need to round the spine and sharpen, finish off the handle with a couple more coats of finish. The Water Camo and Traditional Camo need some handle cleanup/air bubble holes filled, and then the spine rounded, sharpen and recoat the handles. Should be heading out to Mark by the end of the week!

The Water Camo has Black Micarta pins, the Traditional Camo has natural (brown) Micarta pins.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:01 pm 
Forum Moderator

Well, I decided to try out making a 3 piece Saya today :) Made the trip to a local Woodcraft store, picked up some different woods in 1/8" thicknesses and some other stuff and headed home.

This one has Bolivian Rosewood on the outside and a Padauk spacer in the middle. It's a 3 piece saya with no tapers in the wood at all. I mismeasured and then had to cut back some of the bolster indent area because I made my spacer a bit too short, but I learned a few things for the next one! Also, since I cut the spacer too short, I don't have any room for a pin, but it's still a tight fit currently.

Knife is my first J Knife; Kikuichi Elite Carbon 240mm:

My 210 Kanetsune gyuto fits into it, but it's sloppy spine to edge (same for the 210mm Artifex), but I would have enough room for a pin! I may use this one as a template for 210mm gyuto's, but make the spacer tighter to the blade.

I also got the 3 new Laminates filled and polished and 1 coat of Tru Oil drying. I gotta sharpen and then clean up and finish coat the handles, then they will be on their way to CKTG!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:38 pm 
Forum Moderator

2 Saya's done today! Top is Brazilian Cherry and Padauk as the spacer, bottom is the Rosewood/Padauk from the last post.

Page 2 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2