It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:57 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Shun Fuji Honesuki
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:58 am 

Just recently bought a Shun Fuji Honesuki from the William Sonoma online store because its was dirt cheap at the time, only cost me $120. I was curious if anyone had any experience with the Shun Fuji knives, to me it is a beautiful knife but feels kinda light and fragile. Do you guys think I should sell it off (I will most like get double what I bought it for) then buy another honesuki/other knife or should I just keep it?

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/shun-fuji-honesuki-knife/?pkey=cshun-fuji

Post subject: Re: Shun Fuji Honesuki
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:41 am 

I'm not sure about the Honesuki, but if it's built anything like my Shun Premier I would hold onto it. I love, love, love my Shun and it is the knife I compare to all others. The only thing negative I have to say about it is the edge retention is kinda 'meh'. Positives - the weight to thinness is superb (light compared to Germans, but significantly heavier than the Japanese style knives I have gotten my hands on), geometry of the blade is outstanding (only slightly belly heavy for my tastes), and there is something about how they finish these blades that makes friction nearly non-existent. Like, seriously don't put your hand behind an onion during your horizontal cuts because it literally glides through with no pressure.

I've read quite a few complaints about the blades chipping or being fragile, but I have yet to experience this and I use it daily in a professional kitchen and have for several months now. It makes me wonder if perhaps the people that are complaining are using the knife for stupid crap like opening cans or something.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:17 pm 

I have a couple Shun's myself and do enjoy them. The blade is sharp, however, I do experience small chips every once in a while. Nothing I can't fix on my stones. I work in a professional kitchen and the blade retention is better than my other knife (Henkel) but I can't compare it to other Japanese knives. If you think you can double your money then I would look around at what is in that price range and see what could be available. I love my Shun's but I know that there are far better knives out there. It is worth exploring, it's not like you have to buy another knife.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:00 pm 

Thanks for the imput, I do love my shun. A shun gyuto was actually the first "japanese" knife I had after my henckel, I love the thin blade and sharpness they have. I do have to agree the edge retention could be better but the Fuji line does use SG2 steel which supposedly holds an edge longer.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:15 am 

If you can get double back, I say go for it. Shuns are fine enough knives, but as I and many others have said before; for the money, you can get better. This might be a different situation for a honesuki due to its specific use, but I am pretty confident that better can be found for similar money. In the end, if you keep a shun sharp, it will do right by you. But that goes for any knife.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:25 am 

If you can double your money, go for it quick, before the person changes their mind! Take your earnings, buy a Tojiro DP 'suki, another knife or two and bask in your own glory.

I might add that I'm a recovering Shun user. Used to love them, but there are way too many better knives out there for far less $$$. I would never buy/use another Shun, just my personal opinion.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:51 pm 
Forum Moderator

AZNCHEF <> If you know someone who will pay $240 for that knife :shock: ... SELL IT IMMEDIATELY, AND RUN BEFORE THEY CHANGE THEIR MIND!

$240 can buy up easily.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:14 pm 

Okay I am selling it, now the next big question is what honesuki should I get?

Tojiro Dp, Masamoto, Fujiwara, or Masahiro

Also when will you get more Konosuke Honesuki s in, Mark?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:48 pm 

Well a honesuki is used to butcher poultry; a messy, tedious and timely task when doing it by a case. So, I would recommend form over fashion. Normally I like wa handles and carbon steel, but....

A micarta handle will take being covered in chicken goo much better, and a good stainless will take being wet for extended periods better. Being there is bones involved, stay away from thinks with overly high HRC (+60) something around 58hrc will do well, and will respond to steeling....

I've butchered a few chickens in my day....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:54 pm 
Forum Moderator

Suisin Carbon honesuki is still my favorite.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next